.22-243 Middlestead, Ultimate For Fox?

jamross65

Anyone on here any experience with this chambering?

I have read a few threads about ultimate foxing set ups, .204, .20 TAC, 22-250 plus a few others. But when you look at the following figures, and especially when they still produce good accuracy this would appear to me to be about the ultimate based on figures alone. I would guess they are a bit harder on barrels though. I would also guess that the case prep would put some off.

Here is just one example but there are lots on the web.

I have a 243 that I may re-barrel at some point as a dedicated fox rifle and have to say that this is drawing me...

LoadID1137
BulletBerger HP MEF
BulletWeight30 grs
PowderVihtavuori N135
PowderWeight47 grs
PrimerFederal 210
Brass MakeWinchester
Barrel Length(inches)
C.O.L(inches)
Velocity5145 fps
Group0.415 (inches by 3 shot at 100 yds)

Would a 30 grain berger even stand up to those speeds. Poor bc from a bullet of this weight.
Barrel like would be 700 to 800 rounds if that. A lad I know from up Staffordshire why said a shooting friend of his has one. It is very accurate but at what barrel costs. For doing something any 22 cf can do for normal foxing ranges

With reamer and die cost it would become expensive thats for sure. Good fun tho I bet on crows etc

Would be great pushing. The 75 and 80 grain 22cf bullets.

Last edited:
Reactions: JTO
I think a 30 grain bullet doing that speed will run the life out of the barrel very fast, i would say more like 600 rounds,

as jay has said plenty of others out ther with a longer life than that with factory ammo too.

bob.

Would a 30 grain berger even stand up to those speeds. Poor bc from a bullet of this weight.
Barrel like would be 700 to 800 rounds if that. A lad I know from up Staffordshire why said a shooting friend of his has one. It is very accurate but at what barrel costs. For doing something any 22 cf can do for normal foxing ranges

With reamer and die cost it would become expensive thats for sure. Good fun tho I bet on crows etc

Would be great pushing. The 75 and 80 grain 22cf bullets.

Out to 250yds the BC of a bullet would be of no concern to me to be honest...

The BC of a 70grn+ is surely only needed for extended range shooting. Which is really for targets, not foxes.

I think a 30 grain bullet doing that speed will run the life out of the barrel very fast, i would say more like 600 rounds,

as jay has said plenty of others out ther with a longer life than that with factory ammo too.

bob.

Barrels don't suddenly become un-shootable at a set round count. Anything I have read on the subject suggests that the extreme accuracy begins to drop off but only noticeable on paper, it may take the same number of rounds again or more before consideration may have to be given to re barreling.

Even at 1000 round count, that is still several years of foxing...

Not looking for an argument :lol:, but I don't buy into the BC or short life worries for stalking/foxing applications.:-|

Did a bit more looking since I put this up, and the 22-250AI is about as fast, good accuracy and less hassle in case prep...

Don't see the point in the 30 gr bullet and hyper speed.

i would rather have a 75 gr A-Max at 3250 from a 22/250 and a fast twist barrel. Why limit yourself to 250 yards? 400 is a chip shot with the right rifle and glass.

Reactions: ejg
If its going to be a dedicated fox rifle, then I think it matters not. even with a limited barrel life I doubt that the average foxer would burn out a barrel.
Use ball powders and you can extend the life of a barrel quite considerably..

Ha ha :doh::rofl: no no no, my .308 is nearer the ultimate foxing round because:

It has far superior stability in flight
Is far more capable of resisting the stuff that 'blows' bullets up
It can hit the fox anywhere 'solid' and kill it with authority
It's a mans calibre
And when it goes bang.... it means it with venom

The 22-243 Middlestead is along the same lines as the 22 Cheetah(also based on the 308 case with small primer pocket) Jim Carmichal brought out and the 220 Clark/224 TTH based on the 6mm REM case .

We have a couple folks around here that use the 22 Cheetah and have very nice results on groundhogs out to the 400-500 yard range . They claim the biggest reason they have for it is lessened holdover for longer ranges .

I always thought any of these would be excellent with the correct twist to shoot the Nosler 60 grain Partition for whitetails or antelope .

I seem to remember an article on an old guns and ammo about a wildcat called the 6mm Mach IV that I think was a 7mm rm necked down to 6mm with a fire formed 40 degree shoulder. This thing would push most heavy ish bullets over 4000 fps. Bullet choice was critical as most came to bits before reaching the target. In this article there was a comment about this and similar rifles getting lots of very hard carbon fouling in the throat which ruined accuracy and needed some special cleaning regime. The 22/243 may also be a dead ringer for this as well as firecracking

its would be a great caliber to have for the fun factor,but I think you would need to be able to supply and chamber your own barrel to get the full benift as it wont last very long

its would be a great caliber to have for the fun factor,but I think you would need to be able to supply and chamber your own barrel to get the full benefit as it wont last very long

I also said that it will not last long, but thats not important it seems, some people may have the funds the get a new barrel every couple of years etc but if i was in the position to have a new rifle/caliber to me built and could afford to keep it, i would like it to be here for a few years,

a 30 gr bullet on bunnies out at silly ranges at silly velocities(providing it stabilizes) sounds nice, But i must admit this,

speed is fun,

but i would like my fun to last a tad longer.

good luck with it if you go there, but tell us how you get on.

regards

bob.

I also said that it will not last long, but thats not important it seems, some people may have the funds the get a new barrel every couple of years etc but if i was in the position to have a new rifle/caliber to me built and could afford to keep it, i would like it to be here for a few years,

a 30 gr bullet on bunnies out at silly ranges at silly velocities(providing it stabilizes) sounds nice, But i must admit this,

speed is fun,

but i would like my fun to last a tad longer.

good luck with it if you go there, but tell us how you get on.

regards

bob.

Costs matter to me as well Bob, but a barrel that last for 1000 rds for me at foxes is at least a 10 year period.

I have a lot of experience with several 22-250's over the years, but a friend of a friend has the Middlestead and loves it. it seems a rare chambering and was just curious to hear if anyone else used one and their opinions. TBH the case prep would annoy me, even a AI version of a chambering can be shot as standard until enough of reformed brass is available.

Costs matter to me as well Bob, but a barrel that last for 1000 rds for me at foxes is at least a 10 year period.

I have a lot of experience with several 22-250's over the years, but a friend of a friend has the Middlestead and loves it. it seems a rare chambering and was just curious to hear if anyone else used one and their opinions. TBH the case prep would annoy me, even a AI version of a chambering can be shot as standard until enough of reformed brass is available.

I Know what you mean bud.

Having fell in love (and still in love) with the 20 tactical calibre for me its just what i wanted in a foxing rig,

fast enough with enough punch to do what i need it to do and some on charlies. even more fun with fur balls and flappers out at longer ranges,
i never run it hot and the case prep is rather easy when you have all the bits.

BUT Having a new cal in the cabinet (or a unusual caliber) rekindles the fire, and that can't be a bad thing.so go for it and i wish you well and i hope it lasts you a long long time.

bob.

Jamross.
If the Middlestead is 'floating your boat' then go for it. Life is too short not to. Scratch that itch mate. it will be a lot of fun.

Yorkie.

Why not one of these then? Simpler case prep. .22-243 Regards JCS

Back