Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you test if a scope is working ?

How do you test if a scope is working ?

How do you test if a scope is working without fitting it on a rifle ?
    ​Wanting to test 3 old german scopes

Account Suspended
    in my 55 years off shooting would need to fit to gun

Quote Originally Posted by Acm View Post
    How do you test if a scope is working without fitting it on a rifle ?
    ​Wanting to test 3 old german scopes
    Easiest way is to look down the scope and take mental note of where the reticle is
    then give it a bloody good shake or a tap and check reticle again
    do it about 3-5 times and see if the result changes from each check

Camp it solid with a G clamp it must not move. Put a target at 100 YDS Zero it. Then click it five clicks right check how fare it moves. Normaly 1/4in per click.Then back to zero.Check this in all directions. If its clear opticks and not working it still mabe worth sending it to have it seviced. I have done this with a nice old faulty Lisenfeld. I paid 48 inc postage for the sevice well worth it.

Good luck woodfordfallow

Cheers chaps ! Ill have a crack tomorrow !

Remember also that some old German scopes are `reticle moving` and not `image moving` when it remains in the centre irrespective of you clicking up or down.

HWH.

Quote Originally Posted by woodfordfallow View Post
    Camp it solid with a G clamp it must not move. Put a target at 100 YDS Zero it. Then click it five clicks right check how fare it moves. Normaly 1/4in per click.Then back to zero.Check this in all directions. If its clear opticks and not working it still mabe worth sending it to have it seviced. I have done this with a nice old faulty Lisenfeld. I paid 48 inc postage for the sevice well worth it.

Good luck woodfordfallow

Probably the only way to accurately tell with out gun mounting and shooting excellent advice.

sling 'em in the bin and get something decent.....and modern

I do something similar to test the 'scope.

First I get the reticle roughly optically centred by supporting the tube in a homemade double vee block arrangement screwed to a tripod. You could make something more professional from e.g. a pair of high air rifle scope mounts.

Aim the scope at a suitable fixed object and rotate it in the blocks. By adjusting the turrets you will be able to get the crosshairs to be fixed on the target instead of rotating in a circle as the scope is rotated.

Then I clamp the scope in the blocks and check the turrets move the image smoothly and evenly and pass the box test, and have about the same range of travel either side of the optical centre.

Then I re-centre the scope and fit it. Usually its quite close to the boresight.

If the 'scope is fitted to a rifle I use an optical collimator mounted on a spud in the muzzle to check the turrets are working properly. Its surprising how often they are sticky or jerky or don't return repeatably.

This is the tool I use:

Opticswarehouse Boresighters

The boresighter is also handy for quickly checking that the zero has not shifted before using the rifle, for confidence. Make a note of which grid square the crosshairs are on. If it has altered much between outings it would be worth testing zero.

I think the boresighter has more than paid for itself just by revealing that one brand new scope was defective, so I didn't have to waste time and ammo discovering it.

Quote Originally Posted by gerarddwatts View Post
    sling 'em in the bin and get something decent.....and modern
    Blasphemy!!