Dangers of gralloching in stalking ground

An Taín Hunting Outfitter

I had a bit of a thought today......

If I have areas of deer that I know to be good stalking ground for one reason or another and cull an animal in that spot, by gralloching the deer am I running into the danger that the gralloch itself will make deer sensitive due to the smell of offal?

If anyone has clear evidence of this please let me know and also would you recommend carrying the deer well away from that area before gralloching?

Last edited:
i shot a pricket a couple of years ago, i gralloched it on the spot then dragged it up to the jeep, as i put it into the back i looked back down and saw 3 or 4 more prickets standing sniffing at the gralloch:eek:

Really? It never seems to make a blind bit of difference on ground I've shot on. There's one particular very small patch of woodland on my shoot that I repeatedly shoot deer in almost every time I go, and I always gralloch them where I shoot.

I cant think is made any difference on my ground ,foxes/badgers or carrion demolish the gralloch in no time its always gone next day and deer still around, would be nice to hear others thaughts, atb wayne

I deal with the deer where I shoot them and I open up the gralloch so it breaks down quickly I have never noticed deer avoiding these areas

​Amberdog

If anything it attracts them as they are naturally curious creatures. You will often get another deer come and sniff around one you have just shot, especially muntjac. Certainly doesn't put them off. They are a prey species and view life and death much differently to what we do.
MS

To be on the safe side I would remove the deer from said area and gralloch elsewhere.
If it did make a difference it may be a method of moving deer from unshootable to shootable Areas.

Never had it make any difference in scaring the deer,and actually we have watched roe many times making a beeline to the smell of a gralloch,and having a good smell at it.

I gralloch discretely but within sight of the high seat.
later or next day I`ll probably get a chance of a fox

ive shot a fox, stayed in the high seat and had muntjac
stop and sniff it within half an hour.

Ive been tidying up a deer, turned round and had a fox
bee lining to the gralloch.

Main thing is to keep it discrete, away from footpaths and
not in a watercourse.

Do u usally just leave offal on floor is this seen as ok not been a a rs e hole I am new to the whole scene and genuinely dont know

Usually Adam yes, with a cut to the stomach to stop it ballooning. Definitely not near a water course, my previous comment about chucking it in the nearest burn was tongue in cheek.
If you go on the best practice website there's a really good source of information there....or you can ask here...dont worry about not knowing, plenty of help available on here too

And there's me thinking I had to bury the gralloch a meter down, making sure there's a further meter of soil below the first. :O)

Limulus really fooled me there :cuckoo:, I thought thats what they did in Lancashire
particularly when there was a hard frost.:doh:

We shot a stag, gralloched it, left the gralloch out in the open to let the birds do the job, drove down off the hill, looked back 20mins later, and there were 3 stags feeding within 6' of it. We can shot deer from a seat and at 2 or 3 spots around it, the green matter from old grallochs are within a few yards at very productive spots. It does not matter one jot.

Remember once getting roe walked out the woods towards me and shooting a couple. I sat still and a few minutes later some more came out and stopped to sniff at the dead ones, then started to feed next to them... They got shot as well.

I share the common view on here that it makes no difference to the deer where you carry out the gralloch. I've also experienced a fox at the gralloch in the time it took me to walk back and get my vehicle!!

You should all bury or preferably burn the gralloch, especially if live in a TB affected area. Quite frankly I am stunned at you lot. Any farmer reading this would not have any of you anywhere near his farm. TB is costing farmers a fortune. I know it's cost me over £10K in the last 6 months.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back