• Pay for individual outings

6 7.69%
  • Hold DSC1

9 11.54%
  • Hold DSC2

14 17.95%

Thread: Stalking Rights and Ground Survey

Stalking Rights and Ground Survey

I was reading a thread and there was an estimate that 80-85% of SD Members do not have their own ground so I thought it would be interesting to find out. I have not tried to differentiate between stalkers who hold leases and those who are employed to manage deer as either way they have stalking rights. As an extra piece of information I have polled the number of people with DSC1 and DSC2. It would have been nice to relate this to stalking rights but felt that this would be too complicated!

If your stalking falls in to a couple of categories e.g. assist others & pay then please poll the predominant activity.

Thanks

Richard
    Deer Diary
    Last edited by Frog; 16-03-2013 at 07:43. Reason: To improve clarity

Sorry Frog but I can't quite work out what you are looking for, some of the questions/alternatives are unrelated.
    In my case I would need to tick several of the boxes above and not just the one and I would think that it will be the same with most people.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

i need to tick 3 boxes at least ?

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

I need to tick boxes 3, 4 and 5.

What about folk, eg farmers who own their own ground? Secondly, I don't see the sense in mixing qualifications with your basic question. Perhaps you should use surveymonkey or a similar tool? In terms of your survey, I could tick all the boxes. Regards JCS

I take your points on board - I should have had my second cup of coffee before setting this up! Apologies.

Dealing with the easy ones first - a farmer has his/her own ground so has rights. I agree that throwing in quals confuses things and quite honestly I'm not sure if the form allows multiple answers as my intention was that the quals bit would be a separate add on. I clearly need to look at "survey monkey".

So far as 3 and 4 are concerned I guess the problem is if you do both equally. If there is a bias towards one or the other then that's the one to tick.

Having said all that I do think the basic idea is an interesting bit of polling. If anyone would like to put up a more sophisticated (i.e. better thought through poll) then please say and I will see if I can pull this one.

Many thanks

Richard
    Deer Diary

Quote Originally Posted by Frog View Post
    I was reading a thread and there was an estimate that 80-85% of SD Members do not have their own ground so I thought it would be interesting to find out. I have not tried to differentiate between stalkers who hold leases and those who are employed to manage deer as either way they have stalking rights. As an extra piece of information I have polled the number of people with DSC1 and DSC2. It would have been nice to relate this to stalking rights but felt that this would be too complicated!

If your stalking falls in to a couple of categories e.g. assist others & pay then please poll the predominant activity.

Thanks

Richard
    Deer Diary
    The Pie Chart you will produce as a result of the Data you have collected will be fascinating - I propose you submit the results to the RSPCA so they can put together a press release. Now that will confuse matters

I think your poll is flawed, qualifications should be a separate poll, also think the term rights is to loose should make a distinction between those who own the land and those who lease it also professionals should be a separate category
    then you would have a better idea of stalking was proportioned through out the country, as it is too many people falling into the having rights category which is a bit false.

I have not voted at the present time as your poll is too vague.

Thanks Bogtrotter - With hindsight I agree that qualifications would have been better as a separate poll. I wasn't however seeking to determine who owns land and who has rights. My intention is to find out simply who has stalking rights whether through a formal agreement, informal arrangement, as a professional manager or as landowner. All of these people have "rights". This is to look at the assertion elsewhere that 80-85% of SD members do not have rights i.e. there are a lot of people who are looking to find stalking on their own ground. As things stand it does look as if the assertion is incorrect although of course it is very difficult to remove bias from a poll such as this as it could be that individuals who do not have rights are disinclined to vote! I don't quite see where separating out the basis of rights takes us.

Richard
    Deer Diary