Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hornady sst

Hornady sst

Just following up from previous threads. I have some 150gr sst 308 bullets that shot really well out of my sako. Plan to use them for hunting, chest shots only nothing more than 200yds. I have loaded them towards the lighter end as they run at about 2750fps using 43.5gr vit N140.
    If I plan only to chest shoot will they be OK. What is everyone's experience with them?

Cheers
    BE

marmite
    some love them
    some hate them from the answers on here

I am in the latter camp
    they shoot very well but I would always favour a soft point for deer as they only ones I have shot with SST produced much more damage than necessary
    A chest shot that I would have expected a simple through and through with a soft point produced a much larger exit (3"+) and damaged the far shoulder at the elbow/humerus

if you were predominantly neck shooting I would choose them for this reason though

There are some positive comments about the sst on another thread about .308 rounds for red deer. I have some 165gn sst's but not had a chance to try them yet but from what I have heard they should do the business very well.

I use them in 270 not had any issues with damage but if you want a nice blood trail these are the ones , i started off with gamekings but had alot of bullets fragment since using sst i have not and bloodtrail is very wide and easy follow up.
    the exit is not any bigger and bruising hasnt been bad at all so thumbs up for me, 150 sst anealed and you will have an exellent bullet to kill anything going, atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Quote Originally Posted by mereside View Post
    I use them in 270 not had any issues with damage but if you want a nice blood trail these are the ones , i started off with gamekings but had alot of bullets fragment since using sst i have not and bloodtrail is very wide and easy follow up.
    the exit is not any bigger and bruising hasnt been bad at all so thumbs up for me, 150 sst anealed and you will have an exellent bullet to kill anything going, atb wayne
    I also have a 270 my local RFD stocks .270 hornady in both 150 grn SP and 140 grn SST My winchester 70 shoots both of these well it prefers them to winchester. But as yet i have not used the SST on anything other than on paper to see how they shoot. I am a little nervous of trying then on deer as I didnt know what meet damage would accure, I find even with SP on Munty and Roe there is a fair bit of damage and bruising.

Quote Originally Posted by shaun22/250 View Post
    I also have a 270 my local RFD stocks .270 hornady in both 150 grn SP and 140 grn SST My winchester 70 shoots both of these well it prefers them to winchester. But as yet i have not used the SST on anything other than on paper to see how they shoot. I am a little nervous of trying then on deer as I didnt know what meet damage would accure, I find even with SP on Munty and Roe there is a fair bit of damage and bruising.
    I wouldnt be scared i use them all the time now , I am a little confused to the statements of damage if you chest shoot an animal in the correct place what meat damage do you get ,as there is bugger all to ruin on the chest ,if you are unlucky for the animal to step forward and you hit front leg either entry or exit then damage is going to happen with any bullet , i have had some awfull messes from a softpoint disintegrating on impact and i have also had a lost beast from bullet break up so for me i want a bullet that is going to travel through and also give me the biggest blood loss possible to follow up if needed.
    the 150 grain in 270 wants anealing and you will have controlled expantion and an exellent bullet,atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

I have only H/L shot when the beast has been broadside, maybe i should (at least with the .270) change tact and go frontal chest shots. Again I am still a novice on the stalking front and the 3 Roe I have shot have all dropped on the spot but the exit wound has always ruined the shoulder.

140gr are great in my 6.5x55. Nothing has moved more than a foot with H&L shot

Cheers
    i.
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by mereside View Post
    I wouldnt be scared i use them all the time now , I am a little confused to the statements of damage if you chest shoot an animal in the correct place what meat damage do you get ,as there is bugger all to ruin on the chest ,if you are unlucky for the animal to step forward and you hit front leg either entry or exit then damage is going to happen with any bullet , i have had some awfull messes from a softpoint disintegrating on impact and i have also had a lost beast from bullet break up so for me i want a bullet that is going to travel through and also give me the biggest blood loss possible to follow up if needed. the 150 grain in 270 wants anealing and you will have controlled expantion and an exellent bullet,atb wayne
    SST are much more frangible than a "well made" soft points
    once the ballistic tip is driven in the front opens up and often the thinner parts of the front jacket will break off
    Even the Hornady marketing points to this.

exit wounds like this are not uncommon with SST's:

I have just never had them like this with a bonded Soft Point.
    IMO the extra damage and clipping of a front leg in my case wouldn't have happened with a normal 1-1.5" exit.
    the one I am referring to was 3-4" and bits took the elbow

but I agree, if blood trails are required a centre/high chest shot will bleed more with SST's

Use 130gr in .270win, shoot great and never had an issue.