Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog insurance

Smile Dog insurance

Cheesed off by a big premium hike by John Lewis, I started delving and came up with a great deal from pet-insurance (part of Equine & Livestock Insurance). 14.28 per lunar month (28 days) for lifetime cover, which means they can't drop you if your dog acquires an ongoing condition. This is about half the average in my experience and working dogs are not excluded as far as I can tell.
    quotes@pet-insurance.co.uk

Lightbulb

Have one of my dogs on http://www.vetsmedicover.co.uk/ at 28. Never made a claim in two years, but the premiums have been static.

So can't say how good/uncomplicated the claims performance is.

Let's hope I never need to find out how good or bad they are; it's hard to know who actually underwrites the various companies and even harder to find companies which don't exclude working dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Greymaster View Post
    Not got a good reputation according to:

http://www.champdogsforum.co.uk/board/topic/124617.html
    Read this with interest as pet insurance is very topical in this house at the moment!

The company concerned do come in for a lot of criticism but no one gives any examples of why!

We have now decided on a "fund" and have given up insuring our pets. We had a claim refused on a technicality despite the vets intervention and explaining we followed advice given by him, we were several hundreds of pounds out of pocket. This was due to the time the incident occurred and the operation being carried out.

We have taken a calculated decision to put the money aside instead of paying the monthly premiums.

Quote Originally Posted by bobthedug View Post
    Read this with interest as pet insurance is very topical in this house at the moment!

The company concerned do come in for a lot of criticism but no one gives any examples of why!

We have now decided on a "fund" and have given up insuring our pets. We had a claim refused on a technicality despite the vets intervention and explaining we followed advice given by him, we were several hundreds of pounds out of pocket. This was due to the time the incident occurred and the operation being carried out.

We have taken a calculated decision to put the money aside instead of paying the monthly premiums.
    How much would you put aside? I'm now going to be in the position of having to pay 70 a month for medicated dog food or have the dog put down. Can't afford to do either, doubt very much i could have put enough aside to cover the food never mind the bills.

Al

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger22 View Post
    How much would you put aside? I'm now going to be in the position of having to pay 70 a month for medicated dog food or have the dog put down. Can't afford to do either, doubt very much i could have put enough aside to cover the food never mind the bills.

Al
    Al,
    The 70 you mention is not far off the mark as to what we were paying.
    All my dogs have thankfully been very healthy and vetinary treatment has only been required as the result of injuries or accidents. The bill for 2 of my dogs were up until very recently picked up by my employer.
    I now have 4 dogs which I am responsible for and its a judgement call I have made.
    I hope that they do not take ill or require prolonged expensive teatment or I will be in the same position as you.
    But as I said, I have made the call. I have an excellent relationship with our vets and its due to the way we were treated by the Insurance company that decided we would go without.
    Its almost as if the insurance companies are looking for a "get out clause" to avoid paying out at times.
    Last edited by bobthedug; 16-03-2013 at 14:02. Reason: additional info

The other issue of course is public liability. It would be hard to put aside enough to pay for a new Mercedes if your dog causes an RTI. Furthermore here in Wales will will soon have the situation where a burglar can sue you if your dog bites him. The new law is subject to 'consultation', for which read 'rubber stamping'.

Mine have been insured through equine and livestock for five years, great value for money and always good when I have had to make a claim.

Dougster you are a star! Vindicated! Relief!