Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ultrasonic cleaning additives

ultrasonic cleaning additives

I have a Lidl ultrasonic cleaner which I have used once or twice but recently had a load of horrible filthy brass that needed doing.
    have tried a few things as a cleaner in the water but this time I put a good squirt of Swarfega Orange hand cleaner. Its a degreaser and has little bits of stuff to scrub your hands in it

put them in warm water and on a double 6min cycle

My god they came out clean!
    inside and out, primer pockets as well

much better than citric acid.

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    I have a Lidl ultrasonic cleaner which I have used once or twice but recently had a load of horrible filthy brass that needed doing.
    have tried a few things as a cleaner in the water but this time I put a good squirt of Swarfega Orange hand cleaner. Its a degreaser and has little bits of stuff to scrub your hands in it

put them in warm water and on a double 6min cycle

My god they came out clean!
    inside and out, primer pockets as well

much better than citric acid.
    Which is the Number One reason I ever US clean brass. I hate cleaning primer pockets.

I wonder if that stuff is similar to our "Orange Goop" hand cleaner? Sounds the same, at least.~Muir

I use half a Eco dishwasher tablet mixed with warm water before putting in machine and they work very well also.
    Too Old Soon Too Late Smart

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Which is the Number One reason I ever US clean brass. I hate cleaning primer pockets.

I wonder if that stuff is similar to our "Orange Goop" hand cleaner? Sounds the same, at least.~Muir

yes, very similar if not the same

tried dishwasher tablets but they needed a serious rinse after they came out otherwise they discouloured

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    yes, very similar if not the same

tried dishwasher tablets but they needed a serious rinse after they came out otherwise they discouloured
    I found the same discoloration with "Lemmi Shine" that MarinePMI recommended. If I put in too much I got a red/blue tint to some of the brass. Too little and the p-pockets came out dirty. In the end I went back to a few drops of dish washing detergent and some white vinegar mixed in cold water. The cases come out a dull straw colored clean, inside and out.

My US unit isn't very big. It is one that came from a dentists office and was used for cleaning dentures. It holds just fifty 308 cases comfortably and has no cyclic setting: just on and off. It seems to shut off by thermostatic control. I have been tempted to buy the 2.5L capacity unit offered by a local tool distributor (which are the identical machine offered by Hornady, sans red trimmings) but this little unit is very well made and simple to use.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by lister View Post
    cola
    lister
    I believe it! I freed up some rusty parts in Coke once. How much? Straight?~Muir

neat cheap cola will not take long in sonic cleaner rinse in warm soapy water then just water dry in oven
    may work overnight if left in a bucket just keep an eye on them
    strong stuff cola you will have to decide brand and or sugar free
    ​lister

Quote Originally Posted by lister View Post
    neat cheap cola will not take long in sonic cleaner rinse in warm soapy water then just water dry....
    Ditto. Then leave in the airing cupboard for 36 hours. Regards JCS

I thought about asking about cola as you see lots of stuff about cleaning copper coins but thought I would get kicked off the site for blasphemy, ha ha!