ultrasonic cleaning additives

bewsher500

I have a Lidl ultrasonic cleaner which I have used once or twice but recently had a load of horrible filthy brass that needed doing.
have tried a few things as a cleaner in the water but this time I put a good squirt of Swarfega Orange hand cleaner. Its a degreaser and has little bits of stuff to scrub your hands in it

put them in warm water and on a double 6min cycle

My god they came out clean!
inside and out, primer pockets as well

much better than citric acid.

I have a Lidl ultrasonic cleaner which I have used once or twice but recently had a load of horrible filthy brass that needed doing.
have tried a few things as a cleaner in the water but this time I put a good squirt of Swarfega Orange hand cleaner. Its a degreaser and has little bits of stuff to scrub your hands in it

put them in warm water and on a double 6min cycle

My god they came out clean!
inside and out, primer pockets as well

much better than citric acid.

Which is the Number One reason I ever US clean brass. I hate cleaning primer pockets.

I wonder if that stuff is similar to our "Orange Goop" hand cleaner? Sounds the same, at least.~Muir

I use half a Eco dishwasher tablet mixed with warm water before putting in machine and they work very well also.

Which is the Number One reason I ever US clean brass. I hate cleaning primer pockets.

I wonder if that stuff is similar to our "Orange Goop" hand cleaner? Sounds the same, at least.~Muir

yes, very similar if not the same

tried dishwasher tablets but they needed a serious rinse after they came out otherwise they discouloured

yes, very similar if not the same

tried dishwasher tablets but they needed a serious rinse after they came out otherwise they discouloured

I found the same discoloration with "Lemmi Shine" that MarinePMI recommended. If I put in too much I got a red/blue tint to some of the brass. Too little and the p-pockets came out dirty. In the end I went back to a few drops of dish washing detergent and some white vinegar mixed in cold water. The cases come out a dull straw colored clean, inside and out.

My US unit isn't very big. It is one that came from a dentists office and was used for cleaning dentures. It holds just fifty 308 cases comfortably and has no cyclic setting: just on and off. It seems to shut off by thermostatic control. I have been tempted to buy the 2.5L capacity unit offered by a local tool distributor (which are the identical machine offered by Hornady, sans red trimmings) but this little unit is very well made and simple to use.~Muir

neat cheap cola will not take long in sonic cleaner rinse in warm soapy water then just water dry in oven
may work overnight if left in a bucket just keep an eye on them
strong stuff cola you will have to decide brand and or sugar free
​lister

I thought about asking about cola as you see lots of stuff about cleaning copper coins but thought I would get kicked off the site for blasphemy, ha ha!

50/50 water to distilled vinegar??
followed by bi carbonate/ water mix?
i wash cases like this at the moment with out a ultrasonic cleaner. but hoping to get one shortly.
​atb matt

yes feller its just hand cleaner a car mech uses to remove crap from his hands with a nice smell of orange feels like its got bits in ?

Muir;54hec46 said:

thats nice to hear as i make it:british:
Works very well but after a few uses smells something dreadful... There's also a very odd pricing structure! Got mine via Maplin and that's weird in itself.
I've found it good just a bit pricey: not yet found anything better!

I thought about asking about cola as you see lots of stuff about cleaning copper coins but thought I would get kicked off the site for blasphemy, ha ha!
just jogged my memory, I used to do the same thing with my copper pennys but used hp sauce instead left them overnight next day they where all sparkly sparkly:D

The smells comes from a chemical reactions from the burnt powder
i clean all my brass and other things as i get it free

The smells comes from a chemical reactions from the burnt powder
You don't say!!! :)

Just bought four more bottles from Maplin (£5.99 1/2 price) for by 22-250 and 30-06 cases: wouldn't bother with the other stuff as the tumbler works well enough.
BTW wouldn't shift coffee stains out of my stainless coffee maker... :(
But it did make it taste better (after a flush though).

Back