Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Judging wind in field conditions

Judging wind in field conditions

Not that I am advocating shooting deer at ranges that wind would make a big difference.

Can anyone provide links to websites explaining how to judge wind speed accurately without using gadgetry.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry270 View Post
    Not that I am advocating shooting deer at ranges that wind would make a big difference.

Can anyone provide links to websites explaining how to judge wind speed accurately without using gadgetry.

Thanks.
    There are some web sites out there but many of them use "mirage" as seen through hi magnification scopes as an indicator. Ok if you are in the right place. I can tell you what I did. I bought a cheap wind meter used for golfers ($14 US iirc) and I played with it for a month or two. After that I didn't need it as I could guestimate the wind with pretty good accuracy based on so many readings with that meter. ~Muir

PS: If Marine PMI ever takes a break from blowing things up he might add quite a bit. That guy can surf a bullet across wind swept, broken terrain like no one I've shot with before. Five-hundred yard shots on 7" tall prairiedogs down a canyon that was a veritable wind cauldron -coming in from all directions at once- using a 20 Tactical. Wild stuff to watch. I can only assume that he can give some pointers on judging wind.
    Last edited by Muir; 16-03-2013 at 15:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    There are some web sites out there but many of them use "mirage" as seen through hi magnification scopes as an indicator. Ok if you are in the right place. I can tell you what I did. I bought a cheap wind meter used for golfers ($14 US iirc) and I played with it for a month or two. After that I didn't need it as I could guestimate the wind with pretty good accuracy based on so many readings with that meter. ~Muir

PS: If Marine PMI ever takes a break from blowing things up he might add quite a bit. That guy can surf a bullet across wind swept, broken terrain like no one I've shot with before. Five-hundred yard shots on 7" tall prairiedogs down a canyon that was a veritable wind cauldron -coming in from all directions at once- using a 20 Tactical. Wild stuff to watch. I can only assume that he can give some pointers on judging wind.

Thanks. I've been playing with a cheap wind meter and i you are probably right. I want to put this together with some other methods to make my guesstimation more accurate when not using it.

If you have an iPhone then there is a winds meter app.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry270 View Post
    Thanks. I've been playing with a cheap wind meter and i you are probably right. I want to put this together with some other methods to make my guesstimation more accurate when not using it.
    I have read haps on the subject: blowing grass, falling leaves, whether or not you need to shelter a match when you light a smoke.... watching mirage. None of these fit my situation when I wanted to know the wind speed: I mean, it's damned hard for a non smoker in the dead of winter to use any of them! That's why I went with carrying around a wind meter and randomly taking a "guess" at the wind and then seeing how close I was. The system really works well once you get used to it.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Muir,

I'm back now (got off a plane last night). As far as reading wind and doping it...well...

I think you hit on a good analogy; i.e. "surfing" it. Wind acts a lot like water when rippling over terrain. Eddies form, winds circle back on themselves (like throwing water in a sink, down one side, and watching it come up and out the other side), they get denser and lighter and rise and fall as temperatures change. Meters and environmentals give good indicators, but are never absolute. A bullets loss of velocity is never constant in such a condition, so elevation also comes into play when calling wind; understanding that wind/environmental effects will increase as the distance does. Not a huge revelation in itself, but one that must be built upon in the mind's eye.

The biggest mistakes and handicaps (IMHO) are when shooters put more faith in what their computers and formulas tell them, then what Mark 1 Eyeball tells them. Contrary to what some may think, I believe that long range shooting (which is largely being able to call the wind etc.) is not about understanding and being able to account for every variable. It's not about control per se, but the release of it after accounting for what can be accounted. The best calculator/computer known to man right now, sits right between two ears and atop two shoulders. Much like shooting skeet or sporting clays, it is my belief that shooting long range is about knowing effects from shooting that distance in practice, but more importantly, learning to calculate what you can, and then letting go and allowing that subconscience computer kick in and tell us "No, a two more clicks left, one up. Hold the shot until that bush at 400 begins to bend and the grass at 600 blows the opposite direction...ready, ready, ready....breathe, relax..." Learn to get in your bubble, and listen to the voice in your head telling you what needs to be done...

I won't even get into "mental process", or I'll be here for a few hours typing (not just because my typing skills suck, either).

"Mark I Eyeballs"
    I think mine are in need of a refurb....~Muir
    (Welcome back to the land of the Living)

Quote Originally Posted by MarinePMI View Post
    Muir,

I'm back now (got off a plane last night). As far as reading wind and doping it...well...

I think you hit on a good analogy; i.e. "surfing" it. Wind acts a lot like water when rippling over terrain. Eddies form, winds circle back on themselves (like throwing water in a sink, down one side, and watching it come up and out the other side), they get denser and lighter and rise and fall as temperatures change. Meters and environmentals give good indicators, but are never absolute. A bullets loss of velocity is never constant in such a condition, so elevation also comes into play when calling wind; understanding that wind/environmental effects will increase as the distance does. Not a huge revelation in itself, but one that must be built upon in the mind's eye.

The biggest mistakes and handicaps (IMHO) are when shooters put more faith in what their computers and formulas tell them, then what Mark 1 Eyeball tells them. Contrary to what some may think, I believe that long range shooting (which is largely being able to call the wind etc.) is not about understanding and being able to account for every variable. It's not about control per se, but the release of it after accounting for what can be accounted. The best calculator/computer known to man right now, sits right between two ears and atop two shoulders. Much like shooting skeet or sporting clays, it is my belief that shooting long range is about knowing effects from shooting that distance in practice, but more importantly, learning to calculate what you can, and then letting go and allowing that subconscience computer kick in and tell us "No, a two more clicks left, one up. Hold the shot until that bush at 400 begins to bend and the grass at 600 blows the opposite direction...ready, ready, ready....breathe, relax..." Learn to get in your bubble, and listen to the voice in your head telling you what needs to be done...

I won't even get into "mental process", or I'll be here for a few hours typing (not just because my typing skills suck, either).
    That all sounds exactly like what my Grandad would have said.
    " look, feel, think, breath and squeeze".