Thread: steiner binoculars

steiner binoculars

Hi there just wandering what everyone's thoughts are on steiner binoculars I have a pair of 8x42 ranger pros I think they are great for the money but thinking about buying a second hand pair of swarovski or Leica 10x42 do you think I would see a lot of difference in these or am I just as well to stick with what I have

Ive only looked through 1 pair and I believe they are now discontinued but I was well impresed and to be honest I felt they were better than sny Zeiss or Swaros Ive handled. I am actually looking to buy myself a pair of steiners this summer all going well.

Nutty

I use Steiner Military and Marine model for everyday use. Around 100...good value.
    Handy point is fix focus so you don't have to faff around once they are set for your eyes.

​fraser

I use the Steiner ranger pro, by far the most expensive and best binos that I have bought so far, I have not had the opportunity of trying Swaros/Zeiss etc, so I couldn't say how they compare to them. Optical clarity I would say is somewhere near that of my S&B scope and far superior to the Bushnells. atb Tim

Quote Originally Posted by winchester101 View Post
    Hi there just wandering what everyone's thoughts are on steiner binoculars I have a pair of 8x42 ranger pros I think they are great for the money but thinking about buying a second hand pair of swarovski or Leica 10x42 do you think I would see a lot of difference in these or am I just as well to stick with what I have
    Steiner 7x50 Marine: Excellent for hunting! Around 300.
    It is interesting if you look at the spec. for the various models they have (Marine, navigator, birdwatching, hunting, or whatever label they put on it)...as the spec is exactly the same, it is just the label and packaging that is different. And the price. Clever marketing boys!

Steiners are damn good for the money. I can't see that they match top end Swaros or Zeiss. Both will be sharper and brighter, (and to my eyes Zeiss HT have the edge over, well, anything) and so they should be, they're four times the price. But they're not four times better. You pays your money etc etc..
    Swaros are worth the money for the lifetime guarantee and customer service. Unless you want to upgrade to a different model you will never need to buy another pair.
    I prefer the image quality of my Ranger Pros over my mate's Minox of similar price. I've also tried them back to back against a pair of Zeiss HD at 700 and I thought the Steiners were superior. The colour balance was better for one. Everthing seemed greyer and flatter through the HDs. I wouldn't change mine unless I was going for Zeiss HTs or Swaros.
    The eye cups have broken though. Something's let go and they spin freely so the blinker flaps can't be used. I should send them back but its the thought of going back to a pair of scratched Bushnells for however many months.
    Last edited by Finch; 16-03-2013 at 21:03.

The ranger pro are brilliant !! more than good enough for stalking, but as mentioned if you want topline glass the zeiss victory ht or swarovski sv leica ultravid hd are fantastic. With the new victory ht being the brightest I had a look through a pair recently and they are very very good comparing them to my 7x42 trinovid bn they really showed how far top end optics have advanced.

i have had apair of steiner skyhawks 8x42 for at least 5 years and had a pair of 8x 30 before that for maybe 2 yrs and i cant fault them for the cash

i believe you can get them for around 340 quid if you look around... yes they are not swaros but neither do they have swaro price tag and to be honest they feel and look far more expensive than the money they ask. maybe just my eyes but i feel the difference becomes apparent right at the last minutes of dusk ..but if im struggling to see that hard then i maybe shouldnt be taking the shot anyway and the moment has passed

im not a gamekeeper or a commercial stalker so i felt i couldnt justify the money for the swaros but maybe some day...

wouldnt hesitate to buy more steiners.

think there a few guys on here been using Minox binos....cheaper still maybe? but heard decent reports

edited to say..just noticed your in angus too....im awa for 3 or 4 weeks working but your more than welcome to have a look at/ thru the skyhawks if you wish

paul
    Last edited by sauer; 17-03-2013 at 04:02.

I had a pair of Steiner 8 x 56, good binos but they were very heavy! Would probably still have em now if they hadn't been stolen when my truck was broken into! I replaced them with Swarovski and there has never been a day of regret!
    Swarovski service and back up is outstanding .
    Steiner v Swarovski, Swarovski every time but don't dismiss the steiner as they are good value .