re loading

No, but to buy expanding ammo, you need to have it on your FAC, to buy FMJ you don't.

But once FMJ are assembled, they count towards your quantity held allowance. Expanding bullets are already counted towards your holding allowance.

You are not licenced for any other component part required for reloading.

So to summarise-

You can buy FMJ Bullets and everything to assemble a "round" with out being in posession of a FAC. But are not permitted to assemble the components
You have to have Expanding Ammunition on your FAC to buy an Expanding Bullet or be in posession.

Hope that helps

TJ

No, but to buy expanding ammo, you need to have it on your FAC, to buy FMJ you don't.

But once FMJ are assembled, they count towards your quantity held allowance. Expanding bullets are already counted towards your holding allowance.

You are not licenced for any other component part required for reloading.

So to summarise-

You can buy FMJ Bullets and everything to assemble a "round" with out being in posession of a FAC. But are not permitted to assemble the components
You have to have Expanding Ammunition on your FAC to buy an Expanding Bullet or be in posession.

Hope that helps

TJ

Yep but you now need to show your fac to buy primers although there is no transaction recorded

Increase ammo allowance.
Before I started I had hold 120 buy 100, now I have hold 400 buy 300.

I also keep a diary of what I have reloaded so I can show the FEO or Firearm dept what I have uesd etc

I found I could have done with upping my allowance - I can only buy one box of expanding at a time then I have to use most of them before I can start experimenting with another type of bullet

I found I could have done with upping my allowance - I can only buy one box of expanding at a time then I have to use most of them before I can start experimenting with another type of bullet

Request an increase if you are reloading. The ACPO guidelines specifically recognise the needs of a reloader.

I also keep a diary of what I have reloaded so I can show the FEO or Firearm dept what I have uesd etc

Sorry Multiman but I think that you are making a rod for your own back there. By all means keep records for your own use and comply with all legal requirements but we're not required to keep a record and I can see this coming back to haunt us all if you start giving some forces ideas.

Sorry Multiman but I think that you are making a rod for your own back there. By all means keep records for your own use and comply with all legal requirements but we're not required to keep a record and I can see this coming back to haunt us all if you start giving some forces ideas.
Hi 8x57 my thinking was when I was being questioned on why I was not showing any centerfire ammo bought I could go look at this. I am down on the record as being a reloader but still.

Hi I am with 8x57 on this one

usage is not a criteria for holding firearms or good reason, nor should it be used as justification

If I fire five shots a year compared to a range queen firing 500, I don't need my rifle less than them and cannot be judged as such by the FEO

none f their business how much I shoot
If it was we would be asked to do what you suggest (don't give them any ideas!)

(don't give them any ideas!)

Likewise.

I've heard of one chap who was asked about this. He keeps his used primers in a jam jar for safe disposal (they are usually full of lead compounds in a dangerous form). That satisfied the FEO about usage.

Yep but you now need to show your fac to buy primers although there is no transaction recorded

Errr you sure about that? As far as I'm aware there has been no change in the law to require showing your license to purchase primers!

Do you have to enter the fully loaded ammo on your FAC?

IF you have assembled the ammo using FMJ then you shoud, if you are assembling Soft Point/Ballistic then it is already entered onto your ticket as the RFD will have entered it on there, although that is a whole discussion again!!

TJ

Errr you sure about that? As far as I'm aware there has been no change in the law to require showing your license to purchase primers!

Yep. Section 35 of the violent crime reduction act 2006 states that to buy cap type primers for metallic ammunition an fac must be shown. It is not recorded but a license must be seen. I know some dealers actually will record your license and only sell you primers suited to the calibre you have eg small rifle primers for a 223 while others dont. As an rfd I usually just check it is current but certainly dont put my own interpretation on it as said previous.

Guys I take your comments onboard.I have never shown my FEO my reloading diary but it is there if challenged. I like it cause I record powder used cases primers etc for my referance.
I do like the used primers in a jamjar... im going to do that.

My RFD never records any primers or expanding ammo on my FAC I just show the FAC and he sells it to me. therfore I have no enteries on my FAC apart from .22LR and .22WMR. Thants why I started keeping the diary so I could show what was using if challenged and for my own referance.

Back