Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: head shot query......

head shot query......

Hello.... I had a conversation today reference head shots. I prefer a head shot if no trophy is present but i was told that it ruins the meat due to a release of hormones and the heart still pumping...never heard of this before ,has any body came across this.... P.S im not wanting to open a debate on taking head shots etc cheers...
    Last edited by exmarksman9870; 16-03-2013 at 21:41.

BS lol
    ​Amberdog

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Lewis View Post
    BS
    Thats what i was thinking haha .....

Doesn't the brain need to tell the organs to go into overdrive? Hence, if the brain's two feet to the rear of where it should be it's not going to work!
    Only thing I've noticed is that some people don't bleed the beast out and the meat's rank, IMO.

the last roe I head shot tasted great, but try telling that to the brains that were splattered on the birch trees behind where the roe was standing....

The bleed out over my wellies was good too as I carried it back to the car to get my knife

Quote Originally Posted by paul at barony View Post
    the last roe I head shot tasted great, but try telling that to the brains that were splattered on the birch trees behind where the roe was standing....The bleed out over my wellies was good too as I carried it back to the car to get my knife
    That's the best! Nothing better apart from a trip in the dung heap after too much cider.

More likely that poor bleeding will cause meat damage than hormone release.

Quote Originally Posted by exmarksman9870 View Post
    Hello.... I had a conversation today reference head shots. I prefer a head shot if no trophy is present but i was told that it ruins the meat due to a release of hormones and the heart still pumping...never heard of this before ,has any body came across this.... P.S im not wanting to open a debate on taking head shots etc cheers...
    Load of *****! People often compare meat quality affected by stress but it doesn't seem to be relevant with wild animals. If domestic animals are stressed before slaughter, they undoubtedly can become spoiled. Wild animals such as deer spend most of their time fleeing from predators/hunters and remain unaffected by stress when it comes to meat quality. Many deer shot are aware of the hunter and are poised ready to run pumped with adrenaline. They taste no different. Deer that are horribly injured in RTA's also taste the same. If you are quick enough to follow up a head or neck shot, you may be able to bleed the carcass with the heart still beating. That makes for a very good clean carcass which will also taste great!
    MS

Can't see where there is time for stress, normally the brain is splattered against the scenery so it can't send any signal let alone stress ones!