head shot query......

exmarksman9870

Hello.... I had a conversation today reference head shots. I prefer a head shot if no trophy is present but i was told that it ruins the meat due to a release of hormones and the heart still pumping...never heard of this before ,has any body came across this.... P.S im not wanting to open a debate on taking head shots etc cheers...

Last edited:
Doesn't the brain need to tell the organs to go into overdrive? Hence, if the brain's two feet to the rear of where it should be it's not going to work!
Only thing I've noticed is that some people don't bleed the beast out and the meat's rank, IMO.

the last roe I head shot tasted great, but try telling that to the brains that were splattered on the birch trees behind where the roe was standing....

The bleed out over my wellies was good too as I carried it back to the car to get my knife :doh:

the last roe I head shot tasted great, but try telling that to the brains that were splattered on the birch trees behind where the roe was standing....The bleed out over my wellies was good too as I carried it back to the car to get my knife :doh:

That's the best! Nothing better apart from a trip in the dung heap after too much cider.

Hello.... I had a conversation today reference head shots. I prefer a head shot if no trophy is present but i was told that it ruins the meat due to a release of hormones and the heart still pumping...never heard of this before ,has any body came across this.... P.S im not wanting to open a debate on taking head shots etc cheers...
Load of *****! People often compare meat quality affected by stress but it doesn't seem to be relevant with wild animals. If domestic animals are stressed before slaughter, they undoubtedly can become spoiled. Wild animals such as deer spend most of their time fleeing from predators/hunters and remain unaffected by stress when it comes to meat quality. Many deer shot are aware of the hunter and are poised ready to run pumped with adrenaline. They taste no different. Deer that are horribly injured in RTA's also taste the same. If you are quick enough to follow up a head or neck shot, you may be able to bleed the carcass with the heart still beating. That makes for a very good clean carcass which will also taste great!
MS

Can't see where there is time for stress, normally the brain is splattered against the scenery so it can't send any signal let alone stress ones!

MS has an interesting point about stress which was what came to my mind reading the OP. I just wonder talking about livestock being much more prone to it. Does anyone know if park Deer are ever subject to this when being culled?

I'd have to disagree and say that wild animals much more prone to stress. Also said before that I have no intention or desire to eat injured animals by the side of the road.

I also know that you cannot 'bleed' an animal without a beating heart.

I'd have to disagree and say that wild animals much more prone to stress. Also said before that I have no intention or desire to eat injured animals by the side of the road.

I also know that you cannot 'bleed' an animal without a beating heart.

I'd say you are correct, but deer naturally spend much of their lives in a state of stress and may therefore not release as much into their systems or they would be permanently 'pumped'!
What happens to the venison from the deer chased down by the stag hounds? That must about as stressful as it can get?!
MS

I'd say you are correct, but deer naturally spend much of their lives in a state of stress and may therefore not release as much into their systems or they would be permanently 'pumped'!
What happens to the venison from the deer chased down by the stag hounds? That must about as stressful as it can get?!
MS
It still gets eaten.

MS has an interesting point about stress which was what came to my mind reading the OP. I just wonder talking about livestock being much more prone to it. Does anyone know if park Deer are ever subject to this when being culled?

I've been on one cull and the deer behaved much as they would in the wild.
Standing about minding their own and then they're on the grass.

They tasted the same as the other wild Fallow I've had.

Load of *****! People often compare meat quality affected by stress but it doesn't seem to be relevant with wild animals. If domestic animals are stressed before slaughter, they undoubtedly can become spoiled. Wild animals such as deer spend most of their time fleeing from predators/hunters and remain unaffected by stress when it comes to meat quality. Many deer shot are aware of the hunter and are poised ready to run pumped with adrenaline. They taste no different. Deer that are horribly injured in RTA's also taste the same. If you are quick enough to follow up a head or neck shot, you may be able to bleed the carcass with the heart still beating. That makes for a very good clean carcass which will also taste great!
MS

Don't agree with that take stags in the rut a carcase in the rut will go off ( fired) much more readily than at any other time as will a beast that has been wounded and needs a protracted follow up.

As to the original question about head shots , I don't see it making a difference.

And who the hell would eat a beast from the side of the road, must be a really poor stalker thats reduced to eating road kill :rofl:

There was an article in the NGO magazine about six months ago on this subject by Felix....
His comment was the same as you state. Adrenaline, stress etc.
His response to letters in the subsequent issue was to say that his article was deliberately provocative.

Last edited:
I have to agree that head shot venison is of lower quality, and you should sell it to me at a very low price, I will then find a good home for it ( only slightly marking the price up to cover my costs) :D

How on earth can adrenalin be released when a deer is shot in the head, thereby rendering it incapable of responding to the following factors that are the cause of its release? The animal has no brain left. It is incapable of of being aware of the factors around it as mentioned below.

Epinephrine (adrenalin) plays a central role in the short-term stress reaction—the physiological response to threatening, exciting or environmental stress or conditions such as high noise levels or bright light (see Fight-or-flight response), It also reacts to stress induced anger. It is secreted by the adrenal medulla. When released into the bloodstream, epinephrine binds to multiple receptors and has numerous effects throughout the body. It increases heart rate and stroke volume, dilates the pupils, and constricts arterioles in the skin and gut while dilating arterioles in leg muscles. It elevates the blood sugar level by increasing hydrolysis of glycogen to glucose in the liver, and at the same time begins the breakdown of lipids in adipocytes. Epinephrine has a suppressive effect on the immune system.

Back