bringing stuff bask from the us

Tomm

hello. im off to america the end of this month, i would like to bring back some shooring and reloading gear of i can afford it, idealy i would like to get a press, some dies, mounts, maby a scope and other accessorys i can find cheaper. what is the law on this, also i know i cant bring back bullet heads but is there a permit i can get to allow me to do this? also whats the score on brass? thanks
Tom

Thank you for electronic message of October 26, 2010, to the Transportation Security Administration Contact Center asking about the transport of a reloading press, a powder scale, and other items aboard commercial aircraft.

The reloading press, dies, powder scale, empty un-primed brass cartridge cases, bullet heads, rifle scopes, and bullets are permitted in checked baggage. We do recommend, however, that you carry the rifle scopes through the screening checkpoint since these items are permitted in the aircraft cabin. Doing so would afford the item better protection against potential damage.

I hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely yours,

Chad Bash
Acting Deputy General Manager for Mission Support
Office of Security Operations

Unquote

Be aware if you do bring back full rounds ("bullets") you must pre-book with the airline (max 25kg per plane, 5Kg per passenger on a first come, first served basis) and declare it on arrival back in the UK via the Red Channel (your bag with ammo should not come up on the carousel - although it does a lot of the time - but should be taken to the customs guys in the red channel by baggage control).

I also put a copy of the above letter, a note to TSA saying what is in the case and a copy of my FAC in the case.

HOWEVER

This whole issue is a hornets nest of various opinions and there are several earlier SD threads on it (do a search) and we may soon get differing opinions posted on here - but the above text is direct from Homeland Security & I have never had any problems on many trips over several years.

Went in June bought the Hornaday lock & load kit, 3 sets of dies, calipers etc etc packed it all in one case - guess which case customs opened and looked through! But it was all there at Manchester with uno issues

looks like i can bring back expanding heads after abit of reserch on tinterweb. hopefullt get some .20 sbk's

looks like i can bring back expanding heads after abit of reserch on tinterweb. hopefullt get some .20 sbk's

A. Don't exceed your FAC hold limit

B. No need to declare "heads" on departure (or pre-declare to the airline) but I would still put a copy of the receipt and a copy of my FAC in the top of your luggage AND go to the red channel on arrival. Generally (99% of the time) UK customs are not interested unless there is a firearm and they won't add the things to your FAC.

C. Keep receipts to show useage to your FLO on renewal.

I have bought countless amounts of clothing and equipment back from the States, and including knives, bullet heads and scopes. Never had a problem, and always carried the scopes in my hand luggage. Got stopped by one guy after my hand luggage had gone through the x ray machine, he smiled and said nice scope, good hunting!!

Rcbs loading kit was bought over some years back by my american friend, with die sets, no problem.

Back