Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tikka T3 .243 using 100 grains

Tikka T3 .243 using 100 grains

Hi, a first post for me, so be kind.
    I was talking to a lad who is far more familiar with rifles than I. I mentioned I have a Sako 75 .243, and my father a Tikka T3 .243, and that we both use 100 grain factory ammo, me Federal Premium, and my father RWS. He told me that Tikka T3's don't group so well with the 100 grain stuff due to the rate of twist in the barrels. I recall he wasn't so sure about how or if this was applicable to my Sako.
    Any comments on this ?

Mine did - fine, the 95 grain federals were a smidge better at 150 yards plus but not much.

Rate of twist is relevant. Equally every rifle can be a law unto itself - even from same maker/model etc.

The excellent Geco 105 grain 243 load can be quite picky in this regard.

Sako and Tikka 243's Ive seen all tend to shoot Federal 100grain Power Shok and RWS 100gr T mantel well. They tend to shoot slightly lighter bullets a margin better - but often the difference is too small to notice under field conditions.

There's a whole world of argument to be had light n fast versus heavy and slower - I'll pass this time!

Picking another point from the OP - notwithstanding what the 'lad' said - how do your rifles actually perform? I'd take that as my guide over proffered opinion every time! If they shoot well, then all the 'lad' did was plant a seed of doubt in your mind.

Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

Yes, it was the rate of twist in the T3 barrels he said was at the root of the issue, althouth he did say he was talking about the difference between a sub inch group and a two inch group at maybe 100 yds.

The rifles shoot well, but perhaps only some time on a proper range facility would show just how closely they group.

When I bought my rifle, the Sako (from a chap in Inverness who was giving up stalking due to a shoulder injury), he told me he had tried a number of types of factory ammo, and found these Federal Premium 100g to be what the rifle shot best with, so I've stuck with them, as he had a reasonable quantity of them for sale with the rifle. After Russell screw cut the barrel for me, he also set/ checked the zero using my ammo, no problems.

My rough field testing at CD sized targets at about 130 yds would satisfy me that the rifle is setup fit for purpose and reliable in termas of grouping.
    A last point to Moray Outfitting, you have an email enquiry regarding DSC1 courses I sent you on Weds last via your Stalking School site.

Quote Originally Posted by Moray Outfitting View Post
    Rate of twist is relevant. Equally every rifle can be a law unto itself - even from same maker/model etc.

The excellent Geco 105 grain 243 load can be quite picky in this regard.

Sako and Tikka 243's Ive seen all tend to shoot Federal 100grain Power Shok and RWS 100gr T mantel well. They tend to shoot slightly lighter bullets a margin better - but often the difference is too small to notice under field conditions.

Pretty much my experience with the T3 and heavier bullets ,accuracy with the 105gr Geco's is definitely going downhill though - groups open up markedly , had a heavy barreled Parker Hale .243 years ago that would not group at all with 100gr bullets - twist rate was too slow .

MW - sorted. Sorry about that
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

No problem, I did mention I was away for the next 4 weeks anyway.

Mine seems to love 75 grain Norma ammo, groups nice and tight. Been thinking of switching to 100 grain for the whole time, as iv done a lot less foxing as late (consequence of being at uni hundreds of miles away!) and will be interesting to see the results
    Aim Small, Miss Small

The Sako and Tikka both have the same twist rates which in theory shouldn't stabilise that well however I have always found them to Shoot Lapua, Norma and Sako 100gr very well and to the same poi at 100m as well, not tried any other 100gr.
    I did try 90gr Sako ammo in my Sako Varmint but in patterned instead of grouped with that load

I had a Parker hale that I almost exclusively shot 100gr through, very small groups. Always worth actual testing vs theory