Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: L579 rebuild?

L579 rebuild?

old sako 243 is finally worn out . ordered new 243 but would like to rebuild old rifle in new caliber, any ideas?

The L579 is one of the best hunting rifle actions I have seen. It is quite small, light and robust.
    Fitted with a good barrel I'd prefer it over just about any modern action.

Disadvantages are: bolt lift up and cocking is a bit stiffer than say a remington action.
    Also it is not easy to find aftermarket stocks as the original wooden one has wrong ergonomics
    and creates huge muzzle flip with say a 308. Shooting without a tight grip on the forend is impossible.
    Double stack drop plate can create feeding problems and alternatives are not available as far as I know.

With many many hours of work I re-built our 308 Forester with a Lothar Walther barrel and AICS mag system.
    The rifle has now filled the freezer umpteen times.

A Sika my son got with the Sako last season.
    edi

.260 rem, only downside is you won't use the new rifle when its done.

Quote Originally Posted by ejg View Post
    The L579 is one of the best hunting rifle actions I have seen. It is quite small, light and robust.
    Fitted with a good barrel I'd prefer it over just about any modern action.

Disadvantages are: bolt lift up and cocking is a bit stiffer than say a remington action.
    Also it is not easy to find aftermarket stocks as the original wooden one has wrong ergonomics
    and creates huge muzzle flip with say a 308. Shooting without a tight grip on the forend is impossible.
    Double stack drop plate can create feeding problems and alternatives are not available as far as I know.

With many many hours of work I re-built our 308 Forester with a Lothar Walther barrel and AICS mag system.
    The rifle has now filled the freezer umpteen times.

A Sika my son got with the Sako last season.
    edi
    Not being an expert in such things, but being a fan of all things Sako I have never had any poroblems with the drop plate,

You say the stock has the wrong ergonomics its many years since I got rid of my old L579 my Sako A11 has a much better shaped stock but as far as I can see the action is identical and I am sure my old L579 would drop straight in, in fact the only difference I can see between the two models is the stock shape.

Quote Originally Posted by splash View Post
    .260 rem, only downside is you won't use the new rifle when its done.
    ...is the correct answer.

In fact, save yourself some money and hassle, cancel the 243 order and just rebarrel it in 260 or 7/08.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Don't recall hearing anyone else complain about feeding problems with these actions. I had one in 243 Ackley improved. It fed perfectly even with a case as sharp shouldered and non-tapered as this.
    ​The others I've had in 22/250, 243 and 308 have also fed perfectly.

i also have a sako 11 i am palning to take it on a trip to croatia on boar having had some great advice from many of the members on sd regarding scopes to use many are of the opinion that iron sights are a great advantage . my sako does not have them . is it an easy job for a good gun smith

and any idea on approx cost cheers

would a 7-08 b suitable for boar/plains game or would i be bettr with a 308?

Quote Originally Posted by HSB View Post
    would a 7-08 b suitable for boar/plains game or would i be bettr with a 308?
    For that, 308 definitly.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

i have a L579 in .308 its about 35 yr old and the quality for its age is amazing. Ive not used that much yet, but i do think its a great rifle.
    atb
    simon