Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CAP Reform

Account Suspended

CAP Reform

I note there are a few ignorant souls on here who occasionally bleat on about farmers' "subsidies"... Why they think that paying a stabalizing amount to keep food supplies abundant and cheap equates to "subsidy" for the farmers, when actually it's the buying/consuming public reaping the benefits, I simply cannot grasp.

No matter. If you read the following link you'll see UK farmers are set to take a 30% "subsidy" cut... of course they can recoup that cut by spending more money and putting in even more work... Eh? and How? are my first two thoughts ... I don't know the answers, but since I'm not on that particular treadmill all I can do is sympathise.

How would you feel about losing 30% of any part of your wages and be given the "chance" to invest more and work harder to recoup that loss?

Read and be less ignorant:

http://www.smithsgore.co.uk/assets/x/6016219

ps. I think everyone has the right to an informed opinion, but no-one has the "right" to be ignorant.

Ok...I've read and called a couple of local farmer chaps to ask their opinions.
    What they've said is that basically nothing has changed except a different bit of paperwork has to be completed to 'qualify' for the 30% greening subsidy, something theyve been doing under a different name for the last few years.
    Apparently, this from just 2 farmers that dont keep any livestock, there is the opportunity to grow less and leave greater acreage to 'green' (notice the current buzz word usage) and qualify for more cash....so less food for the burgeoning population increases but the place will look nice and what food is produced will be more expensive (I think its all a ruse to get acceptance of radical genetic modification of crops myself but then I'm a cynic )
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Account Suspended
    See, that's the sort of "take" on matters that causes problems.

You seem to be forgetting (or chosing to ignore) that no crop getting produced from those acres means no profit from that crop. Now I agree there are farms where not growing a crop at a loss is the preferable option but most farms around me try to do their job well enough so as to make money from doing it and being told that they can do less of it in order to keep up their payments means taking a drop in returns due crop not produced and not sold.

But you are right to indicate that food price stabilty will be diminished, meaning things will cost more in the shops... genius ain't it?

How would you feel about losing 30% of any part of your wages and be given the "chance" to invest more and work harder to recoup that loss?

well i run a business just the same as a farmer runs his and our prices have gone down by that figure and more on some jobs, please don't bleet on about the poor farmers.

Sorry i dont feel sorry for the farmers mate any more than i do for any other business we are all down by at least 30% If not more i wish i could fill in a few forms to get some cash or tax relief.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by WARDY1 View Post

well i run a business just the same as a farmer runs his and our prices have gone down by that figure and more on some jobs, please don't bleet on about the poor farmers.
    I didn't think I'd even mentioned "poor farmers" let alone bleated about them...

But from your answer I'll take it that you do empathise with them. Diminishing returns is not a pleasing outcome for anyone's efforts. Worse still when it's the at-a-stroke outcome of mixed up thinking from our politicians.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    Sorry i dont feel sorry for the farmers mate any more than i do for any other business we are all down by at least 30% If not more i wish i could fill in a few forms to get some cash or tax relief.
    Why did I ever imagine a little factual input would do anything to dispell deeply held misconceptions?

I'll stop now, while I'm behind.... but you should maybe note that I did not ask you to feel sorry for anyone.

And dont worry about it anyway...if the country goes bosoms up the govt can take an EU bail out then extract what they want directly from our bank accounts
    Quad sticks

Yes mate you probably put it better than i did - thank you.

we are all hanging on in there at the minute.

​Steve

I should perhaps clarify.
    What the farmers told me was that they will sow exactly the same acreage as usual but simply call bits of set aside 'greening' (the same bits of set aside theyve been using for years and getting their subsidy for) so its all simply a method to reidentify green areas so that they can fudge the statistics to show more green acreage being 'made' by changing the subsidy. Its all a load of testicles to satisfy someone sat in an office cuddling a theoretical tree
    Quad sticks