Thread: nice when it all comes togeather

nice when it all comes togeather

I have spent the last week helping a mate with his 6.5x47 long range hunting rifle,the first tests through the chrono showed poor SD and ES so a few tweeks here and there got that down big time,due to the weather a trip to the tunnel range to test the 100 gr Nosler BT within about 8 mins the load was shooting in the 3s,that will do nicely.
    so a 15 shot string through the chrono to varify the speed showed a SD of 7 and ES of 15,well happy with that.
    I was also load develping for a newly built 7mm wsm using Barns TTSX which also produced good results,not as tight as the 6.5 but we wasnt expecting that,a nice consistant .5 was more than good enough,so after chronoing the final loads we called that one a day,all that was left to set up the ballistic turret on the Z6i.
    Sunday was the day set aside to take the 6.5x47 into the field to varify exbells drops chart and to see what this rifle wouyld perform like at distance.
    we set target boards out at 200,300 the 500 yards.after a check on the 200 zero board we then push to the 300.first shot was nabg on the money for elevation with a slight adjustment needed for wind,Job done at that diatance the rifle produced a very nice group.
    the final test was 500 yards,elevation was slight low according to the ballistic chart,so after a slight adjustment 3 shots were put into the board which produced a very pleasing group of 0.986
    we will be testing again so a correct chart can be printed making adjustments to the programme.
    I finished off the afternoon with my 243 AI at 500 yards using my 74gr load,I had just fitted a new ballistic turret wrap to the nighforce to make dialing a lot quicker,after a check on the 200 yard zero board a quick turn to 300 put the shot bang on the money although slightly lefy due to wind as I didnt adjust for it.
    Thne to the 500 board the first 3 shots droped 2.5 inch low so a quick adjustment of .5 MOA put the next three shots into the money and produced a lovely 1.213 group.
    just shows even with the modern ballistic programmes you have to go into the field to varify.all shots of a Harris bipod,using a rear bag and a home made bench
    Last edited by see it shoot it; 18-03-2013 at 17:28.

No shooting off sticks or Pizza bases?
    all sounds far too technical....

sub inch at 500yds is very impressive though

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    No shooting off sticks or Pizza bases?
    all sounds far too technical....

sub inch at 500yds is very impressive though
    thank you,but not really technical just good prep and good equipment

Quote Originally Posted by see it shoot it View Post
    I have spent the last week helping a mate with his 6.5x47 long range hunting rifle,the first tests through the chrono showed poor SD and ES so a few tweeks here and there got that down big time,due to the weather a trip to the tunnel range to test the 100 gr Nosler BT within about 8 mins the load was shooting in the 3s,that will do nicely.
    so a 15 shot string through the chrono to varify the speed showed a SD of 7 and ES of 15,well happy with that.
    I was also load develping for a newly built 7mm wsm using Barns TTSX which also produced good results,not as tight as the 6.5 but we wasnt expecting that,a nice consistant .5 was more than good enough,so after chronoing the final loads we called that one a day,all that was left to set up the ballistic turret on the Z6i.
    Sunday was the day set aside to take the 6.5x47 into the field to varify exbells drops chart and to see what this rifle wouyld perform like at distance.
    we set target boards out at 200,300 the 500 yards.after a check on the 200 zero board we then push to the 300.first shot was nabg on the money for elevation with a slight adjustment needed for wind,Job done at that diatance the rifle produced a very nice group.
    the final test was 500 yards,elevation was slight low according to the ballistic chart,so after a slight adjustment 3 shots were put into the board which produced a very pleasing group of 0.986
    we will be testing again so a correct chart can be printed making adjustments to the programme.
    I finished off the afternoon with my 243 AI at 500 yards using my 74gr load,I had just fitted a new ballistic turret wrap to the nighforce to make dialing a lot quicker,after a check on the 200 yard zero board a quick turn to 300 put the shot bang on the money although slightly lefy due to wind as I didnt adjust for it.
    Thne to the 500 board the first 3 shots droped 2.5 inch low so a quick adjustment of .5 MOA put the next three shots into the money and produced a lovely 1.213 group.
    just shows even with the modern ballistic programmes you have to go into the field to varify.all shots of a Harris bipod,using a rear bag and a home made bench
    Nice work!~Muir

SISI

What powder were you using for the Lapua?

KR

​J

Quote Originally Posted by jon2 View Post
    SISI

What powder were you using for the Lapua?

KR

​J
    vit 140