Doogooders and the RSPCA

nemo

My old man likes to watch for the songbirds in his garden nesting and show his grand kids ,now were overun with magpies so for the past couple of years I've been setting a Larsen for him and we've been keeping the flying rats at bay,now a new neighbour has moved in and tonight the RSPCA have turned up,now I'm one for telling them to get lost and return with a warrant but my dads a bit more diplomatic ,so he shows the young lady the trap upon which she says everything is in order water food perch and a cover but suggests that we dispatch the call bird and get another when the weather warms up,I didn't know magpies went into warmer climates when it's cold,anyway the ones we've already caught weren't so bothered about the cold,I've just told my dad to print off a copy of the general license and show them that but I doubt if they will return,your comments gentlemen

Well done.
I'm in the throws of getting a Larsen trap setup in my back garden for the sake of the songbirds around here too.

You both did really well in dealing with them......BUT....I wouldnt trust them as far as I could throw them...jumped up little..........:rolleyes:...........

I use a trap on one of my farms, and have to check it every day, and leave my phone number and the local police phone number on it....

What a lovely new neighbour you have. I agree they'll be keeping an eye on you. I would be more concerned about the neighbour poking his nose in any of your other business.

Never trust the aRSePCA !!! But as for dispatching the bait bird, as long as it is ok, don't. Just swap it over for the next one caught so they are in 'rotation' :)

Regards
​Pete

Can you trap crows/magpies purely to protect songbirds in your garden? Or do you have to be protecting game birds eggs that you've released ect? Wouldn't mind setting one up in the back 'garden' at uni :lol:

Had one going in my garden for about three years caught no end of the dam things got a good head of song birds now and just the other day saw one being pulled apart by a Sparrow Hawk
can't win can you :doh:

well done in dealing with it diplomatically it sure isnt easy sometimes, as said above dont trust them as far as you can throw them , they will be back

more worryingly they know where it is and someone has issue with it. id put a stealth cam up watching it to cover your own arse as i've heard some very nasty stories of vindictive people 'altering' larsens to set up the trapper. I'm sorry you have one of those as a neighbour.

Back