28 18.30%
  • No, All carcasses go to the game dealer

26 16.99%
  • No, butchered for personal use only

26 16.99%
  • No, butchered for personal and supply family and friends

73 47.71%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How many SD members are registered as a food Business?

How many SD members are registered as a food Business?

How many of you have taken the steps to register as a food business?

This is not a troublemaking or loaded question but pure curiosity while I weigh up if it is worth it.

I intend on doing so when i get sorted with a new house.. Although it really depends on the costs. Either way i intend on having a walk in larder/prep area..

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfisherman View Post
    I intend on doing so when i get sorted with a new house.. Although it really depends on the costs. Either way i intend on having a walk in larder/prep area..
    The trouble is with that scenario I think you would be liable for business rates if it is a dedicated area, I may be wrong though.

I'm registered as a venison dealer but not as a food business so I cant vote any of them. Reason being it was not a necessary step from the council.

Everyone of them selling deer to a game dealer unless of course they are law breakers (I hope their FEO doesn't find out).

Your poll should read:
    Yes, all carcasses go to the game dealer, as it is a legal requirement to be a registered food business to sell them to the dealer!
    MS

Oh, and yes I am!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Lewis View Post
    Everyone of them selling deer to a game dealer unless of course they are law breakers (I hope their FEO doesn't find out).
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    Your poll should read:
    Yes, all carcasses go to the game dealer, as it is a legal requirement to be a registered food business to sell them to the dealer!
    MS

Oh, and yes I am!
    I realised that as soon as I posted the poll but thought it was appropriate as it was. I think we can all be pretty sure that bit is normally ignored by most people.

I am registered and sell all types of game to the final end user.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Lewis View Post
    I am quite certain that you are mistaken.

As a Trained Hunter I may sell them (in the fur) to whomsoever I please. Without any more paperwork than my tag, and record book.

As for family and friends, if they choose to buy or be gifted a carcasse that I have shot (or been a member of the "hunting party" when it was shot), in the fur obviously, then once it is their property I am very willing to assist them in the skinning and butchery, perhaps even giving them an impromptu lesson in which they may not even get their hands dirty, nor even be present for the entire process

If they in turn decided to distribute some of their venison that was surplus to their requirements to other mutual friends, that would be their business.

So why would I need to register as a food business ? And why would an FEO take any interest in such arrangements ?
    Last edited by Sharpie; 19-03-2013 at 01:08.