Thread: Geese

Geese

Can you control geese out off season if they are being a pest.
    I have geese on a silage field. What can I do
    ​cheers

arent canada geese on the vermin list now?

If they are canadas you can shoot them all year round . By the book i think u are supposed to use non lead shot in england .

Quote Originally Posted by matt_1029 View Post
    If they are canadas you can shoot them all year round . By the book i think u are supposed to use non lead shot in england .
    Open to correction, but I think the lead ban only applies to shot, rather than bullets. I would imagine a .22lr would be more suitable than 17HMR due to the fact the 17 will break up in the thick feathers and not penetrate, whereas the slower .22 subs will get through to the vitals. Don't know how I know this,,,,,I must have dreamed it.

Go to the (Defra) natural England website for the correct details and an application form. The licence application is as clear as crystal, if you can justify the need to cull, work out the best way to cull, some wait until they are flightless (April to June or thereabouts) or reduce using firearms

It's all about reasonable cause or justification, stick to the licence easy peasy

.223 Rem is the recommended calibre for Canada's, with either A.O.L.Q. or the variation to include.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!