Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Full length size or neck size

Full length size or neck size

Hi all,which is the best option,I am using lapua brass in my 308 running a fairly hot load,45.5grs of 2520 behind a 155gr scenar and I seem to be trimming an awful lot off brass on every prep,will this shorten the brass life,would It be better too neck size,I neck size my 25-06 and never trim but cases to still split after 5 or 6 firings anyway,they've always chambered fine,any thoughts please.

SD Regular
    I guess you know the "pros" of neck sizing which are increased case life and, supposed, increased accuracy. Against the "cons" of possible problems with reliable chambering.

Well the elements that you can test are the supposed gain in accuracy and the possible chambering problems. I'd simply reload ten that are neck sized and ten that are standard full length sized. Shoot them side by side in a standard accuracy test and see if the accuracy benefits are noticeable.

If they are is there any chambering problem that you noticed?

If not then you know the answer that if they are the same or better accuracy and there were no chambering problems that you can neck size and be happy!

Quote Originally Posted by swarovski View Post
    Hi all,which is the best option,I am using lapua brass in my 308 running a fairly hot load,45.5grs of 2520 behind a 155gr scenar and I seem to be trimming an awful lot off brass on every prep,will this shorten the brass life,would It be better too neck size,I neck size my 25-06 and never trim but cases to still split after 5 or 6 firings anyway,they've always chambered fine,any thoughts please.
    Have you measured your chamber for its trim length?

Up until now I have never seen a spilt 25-05 case and I have always reloaded for my 25's and even shot out 2 25-06 barrels any chance of a photo of a split 25-06 case?

If you haven't seen a chamber length gauge then follow this link.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloadin...prod32925.aspx

A few points to mention to the op here. Trimming - as mentioned you don't need to trim back to the min length every time, measure your chamber and trim to that. Full length sizing will cause the cases to grown more as during sizing the brass flows towards the neck.
    Neck sizing - works well but bear in mind if it's a hot load you may only be able to neck size once before you have to FL resize again. If for a hunting round I would choose function over any accuracy benefits of neck sizing and full length size every time for proper feeding. Even if target shooting a stuck case in the chamber is still a PITA.
    Case splitting - read up on annealing brass. This will extend case life dramatically however annealing needs to be done properly and you must understand the process and the risks involved if done incorrectly.

Neck size after first firing with virgin brass then only full length size when you sart getting hard chambering , its all good
    Official Sponsor to Team GB F Class

Obviously the brass which you trim off comes from somewhere, I would cut a case in half lengthways and check for a thin place just in front of the head. Hot loads and oversizing ie setting the shoulder back will cause this.

Full length size every time I get better repeatable accuracy from full length sizing as every round chambers the same

Thanks for comments,atb swaro

Neck size for target rifles, but don't kid yourself it makes any difference to accuracy, just case life.

FL size for hunting rifles. Maybe even test every round chambers cleanly before use, if you have somewhere safe to do so. Don't jam the bullets into the lands, a decent jump should work fine.

One day you might need to lend another hunter some ammo (I know, don't criticise).

Or borrow.

FL every time.
    Last edited by Sharpie; 20-03-2013 at 22:21.