Thread: in need of a 30-30 sage.

in need of a 30-30 sage.

Morning,

i need someone to sort out a family argument. the question is can a 30-30 lever action gun be made large deer legal in SCOTLAND?

so far i have worked out that hornady sell and 110gr round nose .30 cal bullet the quest is could it be loaded to exceed the min speed of 2450 ft/sec.

Thanks

Andy7mm

Theoretically it's doable. 110gr bullet would need 2677fps for the required energy of 1750ftlbs.

E.g. GS Custom publishes load data for their 145gr bullet which should satisfy the legal requirements:

GS CUSTOM BULLETS - Specifications for use

GS CUSTOM BULLETS - Load Data for HV Bullets

Quote Originally Posted by Andy7mm View Post
    Morning,

i need someone to sort out a family argument. the question is can a 30-30 lever action gun be made large deer legal in SCOTLAND?

so far i have worked out that hornady sell and 110gr round nose .30 cal bullet the quest is could it be loaded to exceed the min speed of 2450 ft/sec.

Thanks

Andy7mm
    Sure.

The Speer #13 manual has several 110gr loads at 2600 - 2700 FPS. The question is why bother when so many other factors are against you.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

Morning,

Thanks

Andy7mm
    I believe the Hodgdon LEVERevolution powder is now available in the UK and that coupled with a 140gr bullet may get you the velocity/energy you need for the .30/30.

Based on the Federal 125gr HP Power-Shok 2570 ft/s / 1833 ft/lbs, and a very rough guess it might get your 110gr over the minimum requirement in Scotland as well.

If anybody has got the LEVERevolution powder on their Quickload they may be able to work it out.

I'll probably try it one day but for now the 150gr Federal stuff works for me. . . in England.

Thank you very much deer man having check the federal web site and the basc guide lines, we have a winner. breaks min on both ft/s and ft/lbs and can be safely used in a lever gun. can't wait to rub it in, or go buy some

Andy7mm

edit:i only said about the 110gr round nose and i was unsure what type of heads can be used in a tube mag.
    Last edited by Andy7mm; 20-03-2013 at 15:50. Reason: lack of info

Andy
    Don't forget barrel length comes into play too. The following rifles have 20 inch barrels.
    Henry Repeating Arms | Fine Rifles Made in America and Priced Right
    Marlin Model 336C
    I think it's just doable, but folk won't be convinced until you test fire over a chrono and calculate the muzzle energy.
    Regards
    JCS
    Last edited by jcampbellsmith; 20-03-2013 at 18:29.

Yes, it can, just. I have a 336C.

Leverevolution can do it. So can e.g. 150 grain bullet, 37 grains Vectan SP7, 2461 fps according to Nobelsport (barrel length unspecified).

Plenty of loads for lighter bullets also can, but why would I want to use underweight bullets ?

Fact is it will do a better job than most .243 100 grain loads, which may also struggle to make the numbers.

edit:i only said about the 110gr round nose and i was unsure what type of heads can be used in a tube mag.
    Round nose soft point can be used, thats what the 30-30 originally used. Personally I wouldn't risk it, or only put 2 in the magazine, i.e 1 up the spout +1.

Sharpie only one in the magazine whats wrong with you, thats like saying i am only going to have a slice of pie.

Sharpie only one in the magazine whats wrong with you, thats like saying i am only going to have a slice of pie.
    I like pie.

But I put the proper flat points in the mag. 6+1.

If they still made brass for small primers I might risk it.

History of the .30-30
    Last edited by Sharpie; 20-03-2013 at 22:45.