in need of a 30-30 sage.

Andy7mm

Morning,

i need someone to sort out a family argument. the question is can a 30-30 lever action gun be made large deer legal in SCOTLAND?

so far i have worked out that hornady sell and 110gr round nose .30 cal bullet the quest is could it be loaded to exceed the min speed of 2450 ft/sec.

Thanks

Andy7mm

Morning,

i need someone to sort out a family argument. the question is can a 30-30 lever action gun be made large deer legal in SCOTLAND?

so far i have worked out that hornady sell and 110gr round nose .30 cal bullet the quest is could it be loaded to exceed the min speed of 2450 ft/sec.

Thanks

Andy7mm

Sure.

The Speer #13 manual has several 110gr loads at 2600 - 2700 FPS. The question is why bother when so many other factors are against you.:D

Morning,

Thanks

Andy7mm

I believe the Hodgdon LEVERevolution powder is now available in the UK and that coupled with a 140gr bullet may get you the velocity/energy you need for the .30/30.

Based on the Federal 125gr HP Power-Shok 2570 ft/s / 1833 ft/lbs, and a very rough guess it might get your 110gr over the minimum requirement in Scotland as well.

If anybody has got the LEVERevolution powder on their Quickload they may be able to work it out.

I'll probably try it one day but for now the 150gr Federal stuff works for me. . . in England.

Thank you very much deer man having check the federal web site and the basc guide lines, we have a winner. breaks min on both ft/s and ft/lbs and can be safely used in a lever gun. can't wait to rub it in, or go buy some

Andy7mm

edit:i only said about the 110gr round nose and i was unsure what type of heads can be used in a tube mag.

Last edited:
Yes, it can, just. I have a 336C.

Leverevolution can do it. So can e.g. 150 grain bullet, 37 grains Vectan SP7, 2461 fps according to Nobelsport (barrel length unspecified).

Plenty of loads for lighter bullets also can, but why would I want to use underweight bullets ?

Fact is it will do a better job than most .243 100 grain loads, which may also struggle to make the numbers.

edit:i only said about the 110gr round nose and i was unsure what type of heads can be used in a tube mag.

Round nose soft point can be used, thats what the 30-30 originally used. Personally I wouldn't risk it, or only put 2 in the magazine, i.e 1 up the spout +1.

Sharpie only one in the magazine whats wrong with you, thats like saying i am only going to have a slice of pie.

Back