Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: kimber 84m

kimber 84m

Hello all, has any used a kimber rifle? seem to get some good reviews in sporting rifle,gun mart, but some bad ones on websites from the US just wondered if anyone has any experience with them?

Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

In the past I had a couple Kimber 82's 22LR and 22 Hornet also had several 89BGR's 270 , 7x57 , 280 , 7mm REM MAG and 300 WIN MAG .
    All those were made by the "orignal" Kimber company .And they all shot very well with the correct handload well that is except for the 22LR and that one did very nicely with the old Winchester T22 ammo .

As to the present made 84M's I've had several in my hands but never fired one . I do however have an older friend thats somewhat of an accuracy nut . He likes his deer rifles to shoot like a bench rifle . Anyway he had one in 260 or 7mm-08 I don't remmember which and he claimed the accuracy he was getting wasn't good enough and yes this guy is a handloader . So I am sure he tried any number of different loads to get the rifle to shoot .

When I was searching for a new rifle a lot of the reviews on kimbers mentioned accuracy, either you got a rifle that would shoot well or there was nothing you could do to improve it. This isn't personal experience just what I have read in a few places on the Internet.

I have a new Kimber Montana 84L in 280AI... purchased last year
    Getting .8'' groups at 100m with 140gTTSX pushing around 3200fps (still developing loads)
    Nice and light to carry, even with a 2-12 Z6 on top and recoil is no biggy
    They can be temperamental to shot off the bench for some reason? but once you set her up right then the groups really start to settle.
    I think the accuracy problems are from around 5 years ago when a production issue let a heap of poorly build rifles onto the market. All fixed now!
    From that point on, I know of 8 others (in a variety of calibers) that all shoot under the inch no probs and non that don't
    I would buy another one with out hesitation!!!

Thanks Swado. I have been pretty much responsible for most of the Kimbers leaving Riflecraft since late 2011. I have never had one back, never had an accuracy complaint from an owner and never had one that I couldnt get sub .5 moa with the right factory ammo.

Be wary of "accuracy nut" handloaders, nothing will ever be good enough ( I used to be one till I got to lazy/busy), thats the fun of constantly playing with handloads.

IMHO the Montana is one of the best stalking rifles I have ever shot especially in .308 ( I hear shooters reading this yawning) which is my favourite. 5lb 2oz rifle that doesnt kick anywhere as much as people think, never had one that couldnt hold .5 MOA with Hornady or Federal and with a superb factory trigger.

The reviews on Sporting Rifle are all based on Byron Pace's personal experiences. He's asked to review nearly every model we have in the UK and now has bought his own one.

Very complimentary review, and please remember that hes talking about his own rifle not a review in exchange for paying for advertising.

http://www.theshootingshow.tv/the-sh...ontana-review/

My bosses wife has the high spec wooden stocked version in 308. It is very good and shoots well. I am very seriously considering getting one and this is coming from the UK's biggest Sako fan!

Byrons review does it justice, just a good, lightweight, stalking rifle.....plenty accurate for stalking/foxing and doesnt look too bad either.

A friend of mine bought one of these from a guy who won it in a raffle for one of the game preservation foundations. It is also a 308 and a good looking rifle. It shot no better than my Savage 308 so I guess it's down to what you want to pay for: looks or performance.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    A friend of mine bought one of these from a guy who won it in a raffle for one of the game preservation foundations. It is also a 308 and a good looking rifle. It shot no better than my Savage 308 so I guess it's down to what you want to pay for: looks or performance.~Muir
    Or weight , balance and handling , but looks help too