Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Potential new stalking show

Potential new stalking show

Your thoughts please We have been discussing the idea of starting a new weekly stalking show which we would host through YouTube. We want it to be fun and informative for new stalkers and the more experienced without just being about trigger time and advertising. Please feel free to tell us what you do and don`t like about this kind of show, subjects you would like covered and anything else you feel would help us get it right from the start...

Definitely! Love this idea.

Great idea, and no Pete Carr double bonus

This is a tall order but here’s what I’d really like to see. I would like to see programmes on stalking/shooting/hunting that convey something of the atmosphere, emotions and ethos of what we do rather than just the technical aspects and scorekeeping. This means that the photography has to do justice to the surroundings and the quarry. There may well not be any need to anyone to say very much for most it, just let the viewer drink it up visually. After all, stalking doesn’t involve much talking. There’s a place for “how to” sections and people talking about their rifles and Gore-Tex, but as an aside, not the main thrust of it. Similarly you need to film some actual shooting and some dead animals, but this should be done tastefully and showing respect to the animal. We know that things don’t go to plan sometimes, that animals are wounded, that’s there’s gore involved. The programmes shouldn’t shy away from what we do. But they should stress the context that it’s just the final act of a lengthy effort, and the beginning of the next process: turning the quarry into food.

I’m rambling a bit here but broadly, something more like “A Passion for Angling” was for fishing in the 90s and not so much like a Premiership football best goals compilation.

Pine Marten you have nailed the idea with that post.

Great idea, a very broad range of subjects could be covered not just the "shooting deer" a few bits could be history of our 6 species, their habitat and the damage they do hence why they need to be controlled not just for protection of everything else but also for their own well being.
    Rifle selection, scope & ammunition choise and setting up, testing & zero
    Cover DSC 1&2 showing the competence of stalkers
    After a shot you should show the full gralloch in detail (with graphic warnings) then the game dealer process, giving an insight from field to plate thus promoting venison as the best organic meat on the market. The list goes on & on

Account Suspended
    Most sports need to actually be participated in to be understood, in essence.

Most sports that have been televised have "in essence" been ruined by that process... IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamus View Post
    Most sports need to actually be participated in to be understood, in essence.

Most sports that have been televised have "in essence" been ruined by that process... IMHO.
    Please expand on how they have been ruined? We just need guidance in how to get it right and are not experts in film making.

PM, as I started to read your post, my mind wandered and I thought of that lovely programme "passion for angling" lo and behold, great minds think alike, even my wife loved that programme!

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Wingy View Post
    Great idea, a very broad range of subjects could be covered not just the "shooting deer" a few bits could be history of our 6 species, their habitat and the damage they do hence why they need to be controlled not just for protection of everything else but also for their own well being.
    Rifle selection, scope & ammunition choise and setting up, testing & zero
    Cover DSC 1&2 showing the competence of stalkers
    After a shot you should show the full gralloch in detail (with graphic warnings) then the game dealer process, giving an insight from field to plate thus promoting venison as the best organic meat on the market. The list goes on & on
    I know this sounds a bit nebulous, but I think it's important to avoid making deliberately promotional films with an agenda. Just show it a little bit prettier than it actually is, but focusing on how it should be, and then let the viewer come to their own conclusions, which are hopefully the ones you wanted to nudge them towards. But then of course this assumes that the viewers aren't just stalkers. I'm thinking more along the lines of anyone who's interested. It's going to be on YouTube so you could measure your impact by how many comments it takes on average before anyone calls someone else a Nazi or makes disparaging remarks on their sexuality.