Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open sights

Open sights

Can one complete a DSC1 shooting test with open sights ?
    Has anyone done this ?
    Just curious..
    Andrew

absolutely no reason why not in fact it would be great fun to do it..... now.... who do I know who has a rifle with open sights????

Quote Originally Posted by Rangefinder View Post
    absolutely no reason why not in fact it would be great fun to do it..... now.... who do I know who has a rifle with open sights????
    here Sir!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF4457 [800x600].JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	107.6 KB 
ID:	26144
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

Why would you want to put yourself at a disadvantage while doing a shooting test.
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

Think it would be fun to compare how accurate you could shoot with open sights versus scope. I remember shooting open sights with an old Enfield 308 at 100 yards and was surprised how good it was.
    ​W

Quote Originally Posted by sikadog View Post
    Why would you want to put yourself at a disadvantage while doing a shooting test.
    to make it a real test, and avoid falling asleep ?
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

Providing you can shoot the test I don't see it as a disadvantage. If you can do it reliably that is. The Swiss citizen soldiers who we were watching last weekend, have to qualify out to 300 metres with open sights. Probably just a matter of knowing your kit. (Young eyes probably aren't a disadvantage though)

David

Quote Originally Posted by seprim View Post
    Can one complete a DSC1 shooting test with open sights ?
    Has anyone done this ?
    Just curious..
    Andrew
    When I did my DSC1 now ten years ago we were told you could use any rifle you like provided it was deer legal and you could use any aid or rest etc that you would take stalking. They said you could use a bench rest rifle and full shooting bench if that was your normal stalking equipment and you could demonstrate that it was by silently carrying it a few hundred yards up a hill or through a wood. Provided you can achieve the following with open sights, and to be honest no reason why you should n't if your eyes are any good and used to using to open sights

4. Shooting. This has 2 parts. First, the candidate must put 3 shots inside a 4 inch circle on a zero target from 100 yards. Three attempts at this are allowed in any one day. When that has been achieved, the candidate can then have 3 attempts (in any one day) to put:

• (a) 2 shots into the killing area of a deer target from 100 yards (in any position using normal stalking aids such as rucksack or bipod);
    • (b) 2 shots into the killing area of a deer target from 70 yards sitting or kneeling (again normal aids such as bipod or sticks may be used);
    • (c) 2 shots into the killing area of a deer target from 40 yards standing (sticks may be used).

Some may look at you with open sights, but when I did mine there were a number of candidates who could n't achieve the above with top of the range scopes etc.

Where a lot failed was on the zeroing target - the bullets have to be in the four inch circle. Quite a few failed because their group, whilst small was not within the circle, but on the top edge.

Quote Originally Posted by sikadog View Post
    Why is it a disadvantage? The first 5 Bisley meets I went to while I was in the forces where all open sights. With most of us hitting a 12" bull at 500m at least 8 from 10 times with the SLR. The long range gang shoot at 1200m with open sights, it just practice.
    Last edited by buck732; 22-03-2013 at 14:53.

+1 on the slr.I could hit a man size target at 600m consistently.When we changed over to sa 80 with an optical sight i never shot any better than i did with slr because i had to shoot the sa 80 from the right shoulder and i am a left hander due to my right eye being hopeless