Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .22wmr missfires maybe caused by bolt if dirty??

.22wmr missfires maybe caused by bolt if dirty??

Could a dirty bolt mechanism cause missfires on a CZ 452 .22wmr? I took mine out to check the zero tnite after putting a boresnake through and had 5 missfires out of about 20 shots!! I know it could be a dodgy batch of ammo too but I'm not sure how much of a dent the firing pin should make in the rim of the round, as I've never had a problem before and took any notice?

Any ideas chaps before I go back to the shop with the ammo, in case it's the bolt?

Cheers,

Stratts (The new Roy Lupton!!)
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

Hi what make ammo you using?

Remington 33gr premier mate. They were the last in my pouch but not entirely sure how long the ones in the bottom have been in there, but it could be a few months

Crud inside the bolt can have this effect, a bit of dirt on the bolt face not so much, the back of the breech face dirty even less chance.
    Try inserting a fired case in to the chamber and dry fire, the new strike should be deeper than the one that fired it.
    The pin strike should leave a clean well defined mark on the rim if all is ok, if just a light strike I would suspect the spring, if the mark
    is ill defined than I would be looking at the firing pin for damage or just badly shaped.
    If you can get hold of a copy of the Eley Shooters Diary you will see inside an illustration of good and bad strike marks and what causes them.

Neil.

Post a pic of the cases
    as much to do with ammo as strike

Will post pics when I get home later thanks guys. It's all prob due a good clean anyway somethng to do while the weather is still *****!!!!

That number of misfires from 20 shots suggest a problem with the rifle (bolt) rather than the ammo. Is there a good strike on the case?

Just a thought you haven't been dry firing the rifle by any chance. As you probably know rimfires can be damaged in a couple of ways by extensive dry firing if a snap cap isn't used.
    Last edited by 8x57; 21-03-2013 at 10:41.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    That number of misfires from 20 shots suggest a problem with the rifle (bolt) rather than the ammo. Is there a good strike on the case?

Just a thought you haven't been dry firing the rifle by any chance. As you probably know rimfires can be damaged in a couple of ways by extensive dry firing if a snap cap isn't used.
    Not supposed to be a problem with the CZ452

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
    Not supposed to be a problem with the CZ452 Neil.
    +1

the CZ's are fine for dry firing. Sounds like a bit a muck within the bolt. Pull it apart, give it a good clean, a VERY light lubing, and see how it is then. My 455 doesn't like 'pocket fluff' getting inside the bolt and will cause light strikes, too much oil can slow the f/pin enough too, especially when cold.

Regards
    ​Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
    Not supposed to be a problem with the CZ452

Neil.
    Why is that Neil? I aquired a .22 some years back (not a Brno or CZ) which had chambering problems. When I looked the mouth of the chamber had been peened over by repeated strikes from the striker. A couple of minutes with a needle fie and the problem was solved. I am sure that the striker (firing pin) on most .22 guns can come into contact with the edge of the chamber. I'm just wondering how the Brno/CZ differs from all the rest.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.