New knife,made to my own specifications..........

re'M'ington

I have had a new knife made for me from my own design,it has been made primarily for stalking as a bit of an alrounder(gralloch/skinner)it has just been christened on a Buck this evening,and,it coped admirably with the gralloch.It has an 01 tool steel blade,and,as such it will hold a razor sharp edge for ages,and,will be easy to freshen up.The only downside to 01 tool steel is that you have to look after it alot more than the stainless stuff,as it will rust if you don't oil it when not in use,and,you must never leave the knife in the sheath either as leather draws in moisture.The sheath is a 'dangler' type,and,although I was unsure about that at first,it is a perfect job,and,doesn't get in the way,I also had a popper put on the side to hold the blade in,and,I have had it put on the back as well so it doesn't get caught on a branch and open it up and lose the knife.Anyway,here it is..............

Deerknife001.jpg

Deerknife002.jpg

Martin.

Knife looks great. The sheath looks as well made as the knife.
Quality stuff. Happy Gralloching!

fencer

Lots of nice design points there - and the choice of hanger for the sheath is the right one!

It only takes one knife sheath ruined by the action of sitting down, to make you appreciate the benefit of a 'dangler'!

Edited: You may also consider having the belt loop re-constructed so that it can be poppered on and off without having to remove your belt. Can be quite handy when popping into a cafe for the morning breakfast.

Rgds

Ian

Very smart and practical but, I couldn't trust myself with one like that. I stick to the Mora clipper knives, and I have not lost one since last Saturday :D

John

JAYB said:
Very smart and practical but, I couldn't trust myself with one like that. I stick to the Mora clipper knives, and I have not lost one since last Saturday :D

John

That's why I had an orange handle put on this one..........lol

A great looking knife similar to one I had made by Steve Cox however I am not happy with my sheath, I like the dangler option which mine does not have. Does anyone know anyone good with leather who could make one??

Woody

A great looking knife similar to one I had made by Steve Cox however I am not happy with my sheath, I like the dangler option which mine does not have. Does anyone know anyone good with leather who could make one??

Woody

willie_gunn said:
Sariel

I can only think it is made specifically for a right-hander, so allows for the thumb to come further forward.

willie_gunn

That is exactly the reason 'WG' I wanted a chequered thumb pad for sticking,and,here is the pic that I sent to JES to explain exactly what i wanted................
DSC00220.jpg

The clear plastic knife is what he sent me to see if what he was making was to my liking.Funnily you may notice that he has put pins in the plastic handle,and,when I asked him why he had done this,he told me that if the packet was to have been opened/checked we would both of been in trouble for sending/receiving a knife that couldn't be detected with a metal detector..............Bloody terrorists!!!

Martin

The clear plastic knife is what he sent me to see if what he was making was to my liking

That level of service is impressive, and getting harder to find. From your comments above it sounds like you've got the knife you always wanted. If you don't mind me asking, what sort of price did you end up paying? PM me if it's easier ;)

willie_gunn

Back