Swazi sale, heads up

kevhumps

Just had an email, Swazi NZ have a 20% sale on, now, if you're a Swazi Clan member, but general sale later in the month. Easy to join the clan tho, just sign in! The sale makes the Thar £219 posted, but may be subject to import duties. Couldn't leave it for that price!
Kev.

I am guessing the Swazi stuff is like modern day Swanni gear? I do like the old swanndri but wouldn't mind not smelling like a wet dog :D

I have the swazi tahr and the swanndri. For dry weather I love the swanndri but in wet there's nothing better than the swazi. £219 of the tahr is a steal.

How do you guys who have a swazi find it? A friend has a ridgeline and says it traps in so much moisture he feels wet on the inside. I know a lot of people who buy Swazi says they are the dogs ********, but it is so similar in design to the ridgeline I cannot hep but think on a hard day out in the mountains, rather than sat ina high seat somewhere, they are also going to trap moisture. I know the arguments for proper layering, but I don't want to spend that much on a swazi and find it is like a ridgeline as the ridgeline is incredibly dry, which is the problem nothing gets out either!

You can't even compare Ridgeline with Swazi (poor mans equivalent) I've used a Ridgeline and totally agree! It's like wearing a black bag. If you look after your tahr properly it's an awesome piece of kit. It's a superb deal that Swazi are offering at the moment, I purchased a pair of trousers today.

I have used swazi for years and there's a reason why swazi is £250-350 Instead of Ridgelines £120-150. Once you have had a swazi you will never look back, unbelievably waterproof and doesn't hold moisture . Ridgeline is a poor copy in my eyes. But I can understand if you can't afford that kind of money but I have had my swazi tahr for 5 years ish and its still as good as new and I wear it 1-2 times a week. Don't really see a ridgeline lasting that kind of time.

How are the sizings on them? I am about a 40-42 chest, so thinking the large, but I know the swanndri's medium is huge.....

Sizing wise I would go one size larger than you normally are as they are a snug fit.

I am usually a large but my Tahr and Severn are XL and allow a couple of layers below each.

Regards

BP

I know a couple of guys who have the nomad smock and swear by them how do these compare? The Swazi seems to be cheaper even if its sent from NZ.

The Swazi Thar is ok but don't think you will keep dry in "proper rain."

The cuff design is poor and you get water ingress via the neoprene. It soaks it up like blotting paper. It then wicks up your clothing until you are wet through.

Apart from that they are ok. I wear mine nearly all the time when on the hill but as I say they have their limitations.

I think my Wapiti is excellent - but as Jon2 says the cuffs are the one weak point. That being said they seem to have changed that in the last year or 2, and the new Tahr which is out later this year (but still available to pre-order in the sale) seems to be a big step forward.
​Still think its the best kit going.

I have ordered a Tahr this weekend (the standard Tahr not the new xp one preferred the look of the older version specially with the pocket that the new ne lacks) apparently the cuff problem was rectified in the last 2 years and either way you can fold them inside the jacket and stop it! At 210 posted, especially with a birthday voucher, with a bit of tax and duty to add on I think its a good price! Looking forward to getting it now.

I have one of the newer Aegis Tahr and it has so far stood up very well to proper rain and crawling through sodden ground.

Yes the cuffs are a weak point but a regular squeeze out of any saturated water prevents any further ingress.

The binocular pocket is very handy and keeps them out the way when crawling.

Regards

BP

I have ordered a Tahr this weekend (the standard Tahr not the new xp one preferred the look of the older version specially with the pocket that the new ne lacks) apparently the cuff problem was rectified in the last 2 years and either way you can fold them inside the jacket and stop it! At 210 posted, especially with a birthday voucher, with a bit of tax and duty to add on I think its a good price! Looking forward to getting it now.

I don't believe Swazi if they say they have rectified the problem if the cuffs are still neoprene. Folding them inside as you put it will only make matters worse.

Two of my keeper friends binned their Swazi's due to the cuff design. They are both grouse keepers and they said the Swazi was just not upto the job day in day out. They have alsorts of kit but one of the manufacturers they have turned to is Sitka and they reckon it is good gear. I can't comment directly as I don't own any of it but might be worth checking out.

Back