Thread: Question- Free Floating Stutzen?

Question- Free Floating Stutzen?

Thought I had Submitted this somewhere but can't find it so will try again.

In the past I free floated the barrel on my CF2 in .243 and it reduced 5 shot groups from about 1.5" to just under 1".

I am going to restore the woodwork on my CF2 Stutzen (6.5x55) and will almost certainly find a raised section of wood that the barrel sits on. I wondered if I should free float the barrel at the same time.

Question:- 1. Are there free floating barrels on Stutzen rifles.

2. Should I go ahead and do this or should I leave things alone.

Q1. In a word "yes". I have a floating barrel on my Sauer 202 stutzen. I can't tell you that it shoots as well as my 202 with a half stock, cos in truth I don't think it does. I still love it for boar hunting where it is unusual to shoot over 100yds.

Q2. I guess that depends on how confident you are. The Sauer has a metal end cap the the extended wood fits into. The metal cap has been milled out so thet the wood is not a tight fit into it, but allows movement of the wood/barrel.

Floated stutzens

My 6.6x55 CF2 stutzen shot very much the same as yours about 1.5inch groups which I was happy with but I wanted to fit it with a bipod so my local gunsmith shortened the foreend to sporter length and floated the barrel this rifle will now shoot less than 1/2 inch groups with homeloads.
    Keith

Re: Floated stutzens

Quote Originally Posted by sikadog
    My 6.6x55 CF2 stutzen shot very much the same as yours about 1.5inch groups which I was happy with but I wanted to fit it with a bipod so my local gunsmith shortened the foreend to sporter length and floated the barrel this rifle will now shoot less than 1/2 inch groups with homeloads.
    Keith
    excuse me whilst I weep ............... sad very sad