New toys - new Blaser barrels or Steyr Mannlicher Pro Hunter

Blaser243

Hi guys

I've just had a variation through to add a new rifle to my ticket to complement my existing Blaser R93.
Current thoughts are to either:

1. a new barrel for the R93 (approx £950 including mounts)

2. a new Steyr Mannlicher Pro Hunter (c.£1000)

I love the Blaser, but quite fancy a change.

Any views?

i had a prohunter in .243 and then got a r93 in .308. every time i reached for the prohunter to go foxing i ended up dragging the .308 instead. i now have r93 in .243 and .308.

the prohunter safety is better than the remmy one but doesnt beat the r93, its still cocked and the it makes a bit of a click when you go from locked to safe - enough to spook the deer.

as for bipod work, my r93 is perfect off hand, wing mirror, bipod,sticks, window ledge, bonnet whatever - the prohunter was a pig - tight groups but never in the same place until i'd stiffened and floated it properly.

and the set trigger is a recipie for an accident, ask my mate oli "brownpants"!!

nuff said i think. ;)

No personal experience with either rifle, but the second option gets you a spare/second rifle. Will you need it, sods law says one day yes - even the best rifle can be out of use for a problem.

A good point, having spent a fair bit of the weekend in the shops, I think I'll definately go for a separate rifle than a second barrel for the R93.

For what it's worth I love my Pro Hunter. It's never thrown a wobbly and the trigger is superb. Pretty it aint but useable it is.

Just like cjm1066 I've no experience at all with the two rifles . I am just asking myself a question about interchangeable barrels . How many users of interchangeable barrel rifles , change barrels without rechecking the point of impact ? It might work perfect , I've simply no idea .
The moment the user isn't 100% sure about this , I think it's better using two diffrent rifles . This probably will be personal . Some people will always be confident , others will be checking it every time .

Having had the Blaser for about 8 years now, and frequently taken it apart for cleaning or carriage, I'd have no qualms about the accuracy/point of impact changing when swapping barrels. Ok, so I've not changed to a different barrel, but the barrel has been right off the action and replaced without any changes. I also normally store the rifle without its scope on, and similarly, there's never any change of point of impact. So long as the other barrel has a dedeicated scope/mounts to match it, I can't see it being a problem.

I have found some other threads on here reporting such problems, but given that I've spoken to a number of other users who don't have a problem I have to conlclude that these were isolated incidents. I suppose that even Blaser occassionally turn out a "Friday afternoon" rifle!

The Mannlicher just seemed a bit unrefined to me (with the greatest of respect!). For instance, the safety catch (although well placed) sounded a bit too loud and rough for my liking. Perhaps it gets better with time. I too just want a working tool, but if I can get something that feels a bit more crafted if its similar money (hence the thoughts about the Sako 85).

Thanks for all the comments so far guys.

Hi Tulkinghorn

I had sako's for years excellent rifles.
I then purchased my first Blaser which I loved, this caused me problems with swapping back to different triggers on the sako's so I sold the Sakos and purchased all Blasers which i have never regretted.
I owned a Prohunter for a short while. I had a gap for a 6.5x55 on my ticket and Blaser were in the process of swapping importers at the time so there wasnt any available so I got the prohunter it shot very well but i hated it compared to my Blaser's it was so unwieldy to use you can guess what I done as soon as they had some Blasers back in the Uk. :D

ONE WORD OF WARNING, GETTING THE BLASER BUG CAN SERIOUS CRIPPLE THE BANK BALANCE :lol: :lol: :lol: ;)

DSC00650.jpg

:cry: :cry: :cry: NO WONDER i HAVE TO WORK WEEKENDS ;)

WAYNE

2379_53126828812_745873812_1476895_.jpg

i think some people need to join a self help group - now thats what i call a magic carpet!

from the top

Professional
Tracking Synthetic
Match Synthetic
Varminter
K95

Blaser R93 it's a drug once you got one you can't stop. Two offroads and a attache plus five more barrels and still after more.

Cripes Bucksden thats a small armoury,is there not a blaser anonymous you coud join,did you have a deprived childhood or does your wife not give you none. :lol:
Yours jealousy Neil.

P.S If you have to give up at any time i'll gladly take them off you're hands,i'd think of it as a favour to help a fellow man ;)

theyre not mine - belong to another member of "the club" - i just have a rough old offroad and .308/.243 barrels, one .30 cal t4 and 2 8x56's each on their own saddlemount. run the .243 on 55gn btips and the .308 on 125gn btips.

i also have a t3 in .223 but we dont talk about that one!

Thats one lucky man Bucksden ,looks like he's got everthing covered there,i bet he's Blaser dealer rubs his hands together when he walks through the door.I hope my carpet looks half as good as that some day,you can but dream :rolleyes:
ATB Neil

I can completely testify to the “Blaser Bug”thing. I bought an R93 (Pro Camo, .243 match fluted barrel) in the Spring. This week I have just bought an Attache in .222 & a 6.5 x 55 barrel

:rolleyes:

Back