Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it worth a try?

Is it worth a try?

I've never managed to get a very accurate load with Nosler Partitions even though I'm using them as my primary deer bullet these days. I really like their performance on sika.

I'm currently using RL15, in my 308W, for everything but can get some Varget should I wish to give it a try. I know Varget is supposed to be a good 308W powder and it might be useful to have a load for it if nothing else as a fall back in case RL15 isn't available. Is it likely to make any difference to the performance of my Partition load in terms of accuracy? Is Varget easy to get a decent load with?

The Partition load with RL15 isn't bad but it isn't as accurate as my RL15 load with the Hornaday Spire Points plus it is 300fps slower.

Although I've been reloading for maybe 6+ years now I know nothing about different powders just on the basis of using what I could get a relatively reliable supply of.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

If you've not already tried it, try a different neck tension and also another brand of primers. Obviously only change one thing at a time and work up the loads. Also you could try full length resizing as another avenue to explore? Good luck. JCS

Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    I've never managed to get a very accurate load with Nosler Partitions even though I'm using them as my primary deer bullet these days. I really like their performance on sika.

I'm currently using RL15, in my 308W, for everything but can get some Varget should I wish to give it a try. I know Varget is supposed to be a good 308W powder and it might be useful to have a load for it if nothing else as a fall back in case RL15 isn't available. Is it likely to make any difference to the performance of my Partition load in terms of accuracy? Is Varget easy to get a decent load with?

The Partition load with RL15 isn't bad but it isn't as accurate as my RL15 load with the Hornaday Spire Points plus it is 300fps slower.

Although I've been reloading for maybe 6+ years now I know nothing about different powders just on the basis of using what I could get a relatively reliable supply of.
    I agree. Juggle other smaller items like neck tension, primer. Refine your technique.
    Going to Varget might not be the best idea. There is no Varget to be had in any gunshops I go to and none on the horizon. It is back ordered with no ship date. You guys are bound to feel the pain eventually.~Muir

you can get varget i can get rl 15 mmm shal we meet half way

Quote Originally Posted by triggersqueezer View Post
    you can get varget i can get rl 15 mmm shal we meet half way

Hope your'e not suggesting a spectacular Duplex Jobbie!!!!!!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    I agree. Juggle other smaller items like neck tension, primer. Refine your technique.
    Going to Varget might not be the best idea. There is no Varget to be had in any gunshops I go to and none on the horizon. It is back ordered with no ship date. You guys are bound to feel the pain eventually.~Muir
    That is part of the reason why I'm thinking about Varget Muir, it would give me an alternative powder. At the minute it seems like there is no shortage of Varget here and I'm hopeful of getting some more RL15 in the next month or so. As you say, though, the shortages you are seeing will catch up with us here in the fairly near future.

I can't change primers as I've got a supply and my spire points shoot well (I mean statistically significant well over about 1000 rounds) with exactly the same case prep etc. so the only thing I'm changing is the powder and I was wondering if it could possibly make any difference. My guess is that it will make sod all difference but I thought to canvass the views of anyone who has tried.

Load developing my 308 I tried lots of different powders including R15 but nothing could match Viht N150 in my rifle. SST 150g and Sierra Gameking 150g @ 2820fps admittedly moly coated. Powders can make a lot of difference. I find that seating depth variations makes more difference than neck tension and I have never had the need to change primers as Fed 210M have always delivered for me.
    Atb
    Richard

Deer Diary

How much experimentation have you done with seating depth ?
    I generally start 20 thou away and adjust weight of powder looking for best accuracy.
    When found I move in 10 thou increments towards and then away from the rifling.
    If I find improvement I fine tune with 5 thou increments.
    If I haven't found improvement by the time I am 60 thou away, I move further away 20 thou at a time.
    I have found sweet spots between 100 - 200 thou off rifling.

Some people like to adjust seating depth first and then fine tune powder.

I also like Re15 but would suggest experimenting with a couple of other powders.

Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by andy View Post
    How much experimentation have you done with seating depth ?
    ​I did play with it but it seemed to make sod all difference - accurate loads were accurate and inaccurate ones were inaccurate no matter what depth I set the bullet to. I messed about and did get one depth that, based on a 3 shot group, I thought was better than the others but to be honest I'm just kidding myself if I think one 3 shot group means anything.

I agree that 3 shot groups do not mean a lot. I start with 5 shot groups and do not prove a load until 2X 5 shot groups work. On seating depth I generally work from 20thou to 2.5thou but I agree this is a refinement although I do find discernible and worthwhile improvements. Only one rifle I own or have owned preferred over 20 thou (a Sako) which was just as well as it was impossible to seat closer to the lands except with bullets I didn't like!

​I also clean every 5 rounds to ensure that my testing is truly comparative.
    Richard

Deer Diary