Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to fit a cabinet

Where to fit a cabinet

Hi Fellas.
    Are you allowed to fit a firearms cabinet anywhere in your property?
    I have always fitted mine in the loft but I am fed up with hitting my head on the way up.
    I would much prefer to fit it in the rear of my utility room which is locked and alarmed.

And if I do move it do I have to inform plod?

Any ideas?

It must not be capable of being seen by someone looking in a window or door, also it should not be seen by a routine visitor to your property.
    It will need securing to the fabric of the building so the type of wall available may be an issue. You could also disguise it by building a cupboard around it, if visibility is likely to be an issue. There is no requirement for you to inform the police.

I was always told needs to be fixed to the structure of the building ie load bearing wall (brick) not partition walls etc etc.
    as for moving I would say yes as on your application you have to stipulate where the cabinet is in the house.

cheers Dw

If you place the cabinet in a room that's not heated (or heated occasionally) it could be worthwhile to install some sort of heater inside the cabinet.

Those are called dehumifiers in US and seem to be around 10W power. I guess all electrical heaters which don't cause fire hazard are usable.

Goldenrod Daily Bulletin

http://www.goldenroddehumidifiers.co...ifications.htm

Here in Finland you can use a rule of thumb that 1W of electricity usage costs 1 Euro per year if constantly on. I'd imagine the cost is similar in UK so you wouldn't want to use too powerful heater to keep costs down.

I don't have any first hand experience on such heaters.

No need to tell plod if it is moved. There is no requirement on an FAC application to specify either. Having lived in 4 different counties I got asked for the first time to inform the FLO if I moved it a couple of years ago. I didn't argue as there was no point (I have no intention of moving it). It is best to politely refuse if faced with things like this. Not because we want to make trouble but because it can become the precedent pretty quickly if you don't and the system is overly bureaucratic as it is. And no, it won't effect your variation requests and renewals. Get on the BASC website if you are unsure.

If anything has been changed that I don't know about then please share.

Quote Originally Posted by redlab View Post
    as for moving I would say yes as on your application you have to stipulate where the cabinet is in the house.

cheers Dw
    When the application asks where your firearms are to be stored it does not mean locations in a premises. BASC guidance explains it as a requirement to specify the address if different to your home address. I remember adding 'in a police approved cabinet' to this but apparently this is not needed. I certainly have never put the location in detail.

Steve Oh, i dont agree with some of the comments.

When your inspecting officer arrives and gives the okay because the cabinets been fixed with bolts to a brick wall i dont then think people should have the idea it can then be moved and fixed by plugs and screws to a plasterboard wall of your choice.

Sure they may never know but if your cabinet is stolen it could take some explaining.

It just makes a mockery of them coming round in the first place checking security arrangements otherwise...

Atb

Terry
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

Quote Originally Posted by pheasant sniper 1 View Post
    Steve Oh, i dont agree with some of the comments.

When your inspecting officer arrives and gives the okay because the cabinets been fixed with bolts to a brick wall i dont then think people should have the idea it can then be moved and fixed by plugs and screws to a plasterboard wall of your choice.

Sure they may never know but if your cabinet is stolen it could take some explaining.

It just makes a mockery of them coming round in the first place checking security arrangements otherwise...

Atb

Terry
    I'm not so sure Terry! If any firearms are stolen from a cabinet its not going to make much difference whether it has been checked or not the same question still going to be asked, 'were the firearms stored securely so far as reasonably possible to prevent access?' This is the responsibility of the certificate holder not the firearm department. The only benefit of the clerk from the firearm department checking your storage arrangements is if you are not sure of this yourself but even then, not all check properly anyway. If your cabinet get pulled off the wall and carried away with your firearms in it because you have put a few screws into some plasterboard then you deserve all that is thrown at you!

Link to basc firearms security handbook pdf,

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/publica...ok?view=Binary
    Last edited by Tackleberry270; 23-03-2013 at 14:37. Reason: link

If you move the cabinet and then fix it to a plaster board wall with raw plugs then you deserve to have your guns stolen. We all sign up to keeping our guns secure to the best of our ability at all times. Failure to do so would be a breach of your responsibility and in no way the police's fault. I wouldn't feel any need to tell them I had moved my cabinet and never signed up to anything saying that I would tell them. I also don't imagine that they recorded where mine is situated within the house ,although I could be wrong? They're busy enough people without being hassled with irrelevant phone calls. I know how to fit a cabinet securely and have proved it once to them. That should be enough. If they wanted me to tell them I had moved it then I'm sure that they would have told me to. They didn't!

I'm with tackleberry on this one, common sense should prevail, so clearly the cabinet should be secured to the fabric of the building, ie structural wall etc. if I upgraded my cabinet or moved it within my home, I would never bother to contact the police about it, in fact when I moved house last, they didn't even want to come and check it, just wrote to me asking me to confirm that I had secured a cabinet somewhere...... When they did come and check mine on renewal, they didn't so much as lay a finger on my cabinet to establish if I was secured to the wall, he didn't even look inside it, I presented him with the contents of it one by one.