Thread: Stalking land/Sporting rights renting rates?

Established Poster

Stalking land/Sporting rights renting rates?

I'm in the process of setting up a simulated stalking / zeroing & training facility down here on the Devon/Cornwall border. With a bit of live deer stalking and game shooting for good measure.

To maximize on the target distance (500yards+), I will require the sporting/shooting rights of around 100 acres of clear felled woodland and open pasture. The neighbouring farmer will need to continue to graze his cattle etc., so it is just the sporting rights that need renting.

However neither landowner involved nor I, know what a fair price is.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Tiff

Tiff
    From the sound of it your landowner is supportive. It is however very difficult to value such an arrangement as the actual amount paid reflects what the landowner is getting out of the arrangement e.g. does he have a deer problem and is this being managed as part of the arrangement ? What other benefits does he get? What is the cost to him if only in disturbance or inconvenience? What is the likely income from the venture? Perhaps the most sensible approach is to set the thing up as a joint venture with him getting a share of the net proceeds on an open book basis - maybe 50/50 is the way to go as you put in the work and he puts in the land. If however there is a capital investment being put in by you the sharing arrangement should reflect this.
    ​Best of luck
    Richard

Deer Diary

Quote Originally Posted by Frog View Post
    Tiff
    From the sound of it your landowner is supportive. It is however very difficult to value such an arrangement as the actual amount paid reflects what the landowner is getting out of the arrangement e.g. does he have a deer problem and is this being managed as part of the arrangement ? What other benefits does he get? What is the cost to him if only in disturbance or inconvenience? What is the likely income from the venture? Perhaps the most sensible approach is to set the thing up as a joint venture with him getting a share of the net proceeds on an open book basis - maybe 50/50 is the way to go as you put in the work and he puts in the land. If however there is a capital investment being put in by you the sharing arrangement should reflect this.
    ​Best of luck
    Richard is right about your negotiations, but if I were you I would make sure you have a long lease, otherwise you could spend alot of time and money setting up and if you fall out with the farmer, then you could loose it. Also don't forget insurance and possible planning permission as it sounds as if you want to run a commercial training facility ( if you are charging clients then it's commercial). Do some research with BASC, ect as they can give advice.

There was a thread on here last year regarding setting up a range with replies from some who have done it.

Nearly forgot, you say there is some clearfell. If this forms part of the range I'd check to see when it's going to be replanted and with what it doesn't take long for briars and saplings to take hold
    Last edited by British Shooting Services; 23-03-2013 at 09:15.

How long is a piece of string?
    Pay what you think it is worth, or put another way put yourself in the farmers position, if you offered 100 he would laugh, not worth the hassle to him, but offer him 1000 and you will get his attention.
    The other way is perhaps a smaller lump sum and then a fee every time you use it.
    Regarding planning permission, i believe (but i might be wrong) if its just a case of shooting at a temporary target setup you can use it for up to 28 days without full planning permission, but you put up a structure and shoot on a regular basis its a different matter.
    Finally get it in writing and get a receipt.
    Cheers
    Richard

Established Poster
    Thanks for the replies so far.

I am going in 50/50 with the main landowner, who is very supportive of anything that may bring in some extra capital. The 100 acres border the main farm and belong to his neighbour.

The neighbour does not live on the site and just keeps stock there. The woodland will not be replanted, and just left as a manged heathland. I control the rabbits, foxes & deer etc. for all parties involved. I am sorting out the insurance at the moment.

Regarding planning, nothing will be permanent and will not be exceeding 28 days. The main farm is relatively small but has some excellent natural features (50m steep deep bowls etc.) supporting safe shooting layouts very well.

I will probably pay the other landowner a small commission for each use of their land, however for insurance purposes etc. we would like to own the sporting rights - hence this thread.

Any ideas on what the going rate is for deer/pheasant ground, plus other ideas I need to consider etc. would be great.

Thanks,

Tiff