Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Just had my stalk ruined by................

Angry Just had my stalk ruined by................

I reckon this could be one of those posts that keeps re-surfacing!!!

Not this morning, but last night I went off to a local wood on the edge of town. I can only really shoot from a high seat in there for safety reasons. I quietly stalked to a central high seat which is actually on a footpath with two shoot lanes cut on the other side of the path into the wood. There was a lovely roe buck in velvet along with a young roe doe already in the left-hand lane! They either winded or heard me and sliipped into the small strip of wood between the two lanes. Climbed into the seat and waited for them to re-emerge so as to cull the young doe. All was looking good!
    Then, I heard some movement and began to mount the rifle on the shoot rail expecting the two roe to re-appear.
    Imagine my surprise when two young lads strided out into the shoot lane instead!

Evening ruined, but a good reality check as to why I need to be very careful in that wood!

I've had numerous previous stalks ruined in the same wood for a multitude of reasons, including a 4 man armed response unit with supporting police helicopter!
    What's just ruined yours?????
    MS

no deer !!! lol

We all went playing over the fields and in woods when we were kids,still like going there now

once on a new permission i had got into position well before first light, just as its breaking light i heard a jeep coming up the lane, i was not sure what was going on. the hilux drove into the middle of the field and proceeded to blare his horn repeatedly,. at this stage i stood up and walked over, how you doing he says, not so bad says i are you feeding stock, no i,m trying to scare the deer. needless to say that was another blank

That is one to get you thinking MS

My initial thought along the what if scenarios was safe shot/ back stop but exited at an angle..

For me its usually been sat there watching the deer, just about to take the shot and a deer comes haring through picking up the rest with a dog off the lead in hot pursuit
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

2 years ago I was out with the rifle,I put a target up for a zero check,I was shooting from cover back up in a little spinney about 250yds from the target,fired 1 shot and I heard voices,there was 2 idiots on mountain bikes riding down into the valley towards my targets,nowhere near footpaths

Tree planter comes driving up behind up on the track when we're 50 meters away from the firing point stalking deer on clear-fell, and seeing us gets out of the vehicle parades about a bit then sods off, what a knob

Had a similar happen after I had just shot a munty in a private wood a man appeared with dog ,I posted how shocked by his appearance I was on here and was bombarded with a multitude of stupid answers .i sympathise with you as a stalk ruined is a pain .good luck with some of the answers you get back ! I personally think private is private if someone deliberately goes past signs saying so and lets dogs stray and chase deer as I have witnessed just lately deserves a telling off .thing is these days people think right to roam is to roam on all land private or not .rant over
    ​norma

You name it its happened. Best one a mate & myself were on our patch, he had arranged for an AW to meet there for one of his DSC2 Stalks. I told him where I had seen a doe on a regular occasion but it was his call where he wanted, I'd take second pick. Sure enough he spots said doe, gets rifle on sticks, safety off & waiting for the doe to present a good shot. Then beep beep a message on his phone reminding him he could get 2 for 1 on orange Wednesday. Doe made off stalk ruined

Quote Originally Posted by the scudd View Post
    once on a new permission i had got into position well before first light, just as its breaking light i heard a jeep coming up the lane, i was not sure what was going on. the hilux drove into the middle of the field and proceeded to blare his horn repeatedly,. at this stage i stood up and walked over, how you doing he says, not so bad says i are you feeding stock, no i,m trying to scare the deer. needless to say that was another blank
    Hah....Priceless!!