Thread: Difference between 150,165 and 180gr in 308

Difference between 150,165 and 180gr in 308

Hi,
    Is there any difference in real terms between 150gr, 165gr and 180gr in 308 for hunting. Looking at the energy levels on the reloading data they look roughly the same. I have a good load with 150gr already that works but wondered if there are any advantage to going heavier. Will it be more stable especially in the wind? Will it retain more energy down the range? Will be better on reds more than roes? Am I just fussing and should I stick with what already works.

cheers,

​BE

Quote Originally Posted by big ears View Post
    Hi,
    Is there any difference in real terms between 150gr, 165gr and 180gr in 308 for hunting. Looking at the energy levels on the reloading data they look roughly the same. I have a good load with 150gr already that works but wondered if there are any advantage to going heavier. Will it be more stable especially in the wind? Will it retain more energy down the range? Will be better on reds more than roes? Am I just fussing and should I stick with what already works.

cheers,

​BE
    If there isn't any big difference in energy it's probably because the added bullet weight is the trade off for the decreasing velocity. The heavier bullets will retain more energy. You're fussing.~Muir

thanks for the advice I did guess as much but just wanted to be sure. I find stalking like fly fishing, you do it well when you have confidence that what you are doing is correct. I am sure the trout take more on size and shape and behaviour than whether it has a slightly different shade of hackle. Likewise doubt in your mind with your terminal tackle can make a huge difference to success.
    Will stop fussing and shoot with confidence.
    ​BE

+1 on Muir's comment.

IMHO the biggest difference is in recoil!! 150 grain bullets will kill anything here in the UK with energy to spare. At stalking distances, retained energy is not significant enough to worry about.

I'm looking forward to getting my paws on some Barnes TSX 130 grainers in 30 cal - according to reports they like to be run quickly & should lessen recoil
    when compared to the heavier options.

Ian

Was looking at the tsx range, looks like they shoot one weight heavier. Would be interested to see how you get on.

​BE