Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: not feeding to well

Question not feeding to well

hi looking for some help.
    been reloading .243 federal rounds with 87gr v max.
    hodgdon 380 powder seems good groups shot a few deer all dropped on the spot.
    but having trouble feeding from the mag remington 700 any idea's

thanks from stephen.

Not much information.
    Describe "trouble"~Muir

There are people that swear they have never had feeding issues with a short action double stack mag or drop plate.
    I have never seen one feed 100% reliable. Had a Howa that was ok but not 100%.
    The only permanent solution is to change to a single feed point mag like an AICS. This means changing the bottom metal.
    Before you go that drastic you might try adjusting the spring. Might help somewhat.
    edi

Quote Originally Posted by ejg View Post
    There are people that swear they have never had feeding issues with a short action double stack mag or drop plate.
    I have never seen one feed 100% reliable. Had a Howa that was ok but not 100%.
    The only permanent solution is to change to a single feed point mag like an AICS. This means changing the bottom metal.
    Before you go that drastic you might try adjusting the spring. Might help somewhat.
    edi
    Nonsence, drop plate fixed magazines are very reliable hence the reputation of the 98 Mauser action for dangerous game. Unfortunately Remington occasionally have some problems achieving the same standard normally because of poor manufacturing tolerances.

Establish that it is the rifle that is at fault first of all and not the reloads that are causing the problem. Do this by trying the same loads that you are having problems with in another rifle to see if they will feed, and also try another type of bullet in your rifle. I have heard that sometimes in some .243 rifles the V-Max bullet can be a bit of a problem but that this can easily be resolved. If it is clearly established that the problem is with the rifle and not the ammo come back and explain it to us, and perhaps someone can give you a possible solution. It might just be a problem with the spring or it may be a burr somewhere in the feed lips.
    Last edited by 8x57; 24-03-2013 at 21:22.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Read on German Forums, Mauser do not have a good rep for feeding, especially not in 8x57, 308.
    It is a fact that double stack will not feed as reliable as single or central feed.
    If you are happy with the odd mis-feed and you regard that as reliable, well then OK. Not me.
    I prefer reliable feeding...100% not only mostly.
    Therefore I also changed my mauser to single feed.
    Long action cartridges or long narrow cartridges have less problems which is logic. Hence the rep for dangerous game in Mauser.
    Try feed PPC or BR cartridges, the shorter and fatter the more problematic.
    You cannot ignore mechanics.
    edi

I've seen far more feed problems with detachable magazines than ever with a properly designed fixed magazine. In fact some detachable magazine systems are of such poor quality that misfeeds are quite common. PPC and BR cartridges are something different altogether,some of them were not designed to be fed from a magazine but were designed mainly on the basis of their ballistic advantage and accuracy.
    I agree with what you say though about possible feed problems with shorter cartridges than the rifle was designed for initially, and that generally longer cartridges work best in longer actions. I wouldn’t describe the 8x57 as being a short round though and am not aware of any real feed problems with this cartridge in a K98.

ok muir sorry bit new to this.
    the remington has detachable mag feeds ok with federal but not my reloads. i have been just neck resizing as there only for my gun.
    i have lee deluxe die set should i use full length resizer.

That suggests that it's not a problem with the rifle then but a small issue with the reloads.

Quote Originally Posted by tonto View Post
    the remington has detachable mag feeds ok with federal but not my reloads. i have been just neck resizing as there only for my gun.
    Have you been chamfering / de burring the necks?........ I have seen a chaps reloads giving problems feeding because of the squared lip on his cases, (catching in the ramp area, & some not chambering as well).
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by tonto View Post
    Well. Then you have your base line with the Federal cartridges. Start by making your cartridges as close to the Federals as possible with regard to external dimensions. Alter one variable (like length) at a time until you run into problems. Speaking of length: They do fit cleanly into the magazine, correct?~Muir