Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bore Snakes!

Bore Snakes!

Are bore snakes any good? I have heard that they can damage the crown on rifles, Is this a myth and should a bore snake only be used to clean in the field.

Have a look at this...it goes on and on...and on.

Rifle Cleaning Advice

BTW I've seen wear from military pull throughs but I use them on my 22 Ruger 10/22 and my Uberti 357 Winchester. I'd not use them on my proper rifles...

Throw it I would thats the advice I had off some experienced riflemakers.

Most of the guys I've met who say to toss bore snakes sell expensive one piece, caliber specific cleaning rods. I have never seen a speck of proof that they harm bores when used correctly. I have seen rod wear in barrels.~Muir

I use one and its great for getting the loose crud and any moisture out of the barrel, quick squirt of vp90 cleaner and a pull through and all bar the copper fouling is gone. Shotgun its all mine ever sees takes minutes so gets done every outingwhich has to be better than just cleaning properly occasionally.

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Most of the guys I've met who say to toss bore snakes sell expensive one piece, caliber specific cleaning rods. I have never seen a speck of proof that they harm bores when used correctly. I have seen rod wear in barrels.~Muir
    I agree, many years gone by have seen people pull cleaning patches through barrels on string, apart from the small brush what's the difference? ( For cleaning using a solvent I would still use rods)

John

If you have a mod on that rifle, keep it on whilst pulling the snake through, keeps it square to the crown. Sorted

Regards
    ​Pete

Not a bad idea, I'll give that a crack.

john

4,000 rounds later and my 308 t3 still shoots like the day it came out of its box and this after all the plinking ammo crap I've thrown through it. The rifle is pulled through before and after use and after every detail when range shooting after all it takes what? 20 seconds?. Nothing else and no solvents, magic sprays, fairy dust or bs..... you decide how you clean your rifle. It's your choice how quite you wear it out.

The secret is knowing that the metallic residue left behind after a few rounds you fire actually helps protect your barrel. The most destructive time for your rifling and bore is when it's 'clean'.

edit

I only use a soft microfibre patch pull through, bore snake in an emergency or if there's a bit of grott then the soft one after.
    Last edited by Paul at Fechan; 26-03-2013 at 17:45.