Thread: Muntjac antlers

Muntjac antlers

I am just wondering if someone can tell me when muntjacs cast there antlers and when they are growing. Thanks
    Alan

It depends when they are born. As they can have fawns any time of the year. But eventually all males cast between may to june time

Quote Originally Posted by Stalking 6.5x55 View Post
    It depends when they are born. As they can have fawns any time of the year. But eventually all males cast between may to june time
    Thanks very much.
    Cheers
    ​alan

May to July. Sorry Stalking 6.5 x 55 but I don't think it has anything to do with when they're born. If they are old enough to grow antlers (5 months onwards) they will grow and then cast in line with the mature bucks. C S-J's maganging an alien species states as much!
    Last edited by baguio; 25-03-2013 at 19:27.

Thats shat i was trying to say except you explained it better lol

So when are they out of velvet
    ​alan

Now that is a lot harder to determine. As I said, they start to grow their first antlers after 5 months but as that 5 months can arrive at anytime of the year the buck growing it's first set of antlers may still be in velvet in March so will shed them almost straight away to fall into the normal cycle. The mature buck will grow it's antlers through the Summer. Cleaning would take place anytime between August and October. Apparently individual bucks will cast on the same date every year give or take a few days?
    Don't think I'm an expert or anything but I have read a lot of books on deer over the last few years and made lots of notes to aid my stalking and deer management knowledge!
    Hope this helps.