Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scott Country and Kelso Deer Stalking Fair - Our Story

Scott Country and Kelso Deer Stalking Fair - Our Story

Unfortunately due to extreme weather conditions, we were unable to make it to the Kelso Fair.

We set off on Friday at 7am, and after driving 500metres through a foot of snow in a LWB transit, we had to stop as a Range Rover Sport was stuck up ahead, and was on it's side in the ditch.

We tried to reverse, but sadly as we had stopped on soft powder, we sunk and sunk up to the sills.

So i called my mate who came with his Defender, and tried to tow us backwards, and he then proceeded to get stuck.

So I was stuck for about 2hrs in a total white out, and by the time local farmer arrived with Loadall, the snow had piled up so high i couldnt open passenger door.

I got towed back to my house by the JCB Loadall, slipping and sliding in total white out conditions, and managed somehow back onto my drive....and that's where I was forced to stay until this morning.

I attempted cycling to a village shop for bread and milk on my XC bike (and i ride off road regularly for sport) and after 5 crashes I decided to go home, don the Monsoon Smock's, grab the labrador, and the Go Pro HD, and out we went to walk the road to see if it was clear further out....it wasn't and we very nearly didn't make it back walking into the wind with the snow pelting us so hard we couldn't see.

The You Tube video below shows us literally swimming back through 6ft drifts and having to roll down hills, as they were so deep to walk in, we were shattered after walking 100m and still had a mile to go through the thickest snow I have ever seen.

At one point with the snow blinding us, and up to armpits in powder, we actually started to worry that the walk was a bad idea and we might struggle to get home.

Lucy the black lab loved it though, being so light she skipped the surface above our heads in places!

All in all we had 12ft high drifts in places, with the actual road taller than me in snow in some areas with at least a foot in sheltered areas of road.

We had planned to run two competitions at the show, so as a gesture of our appreciation and respect for the forum, we will run them on here in the next few days.

1st prize for the Monsoon.
    2nd for the Storm.

So so sad we couldnt make it, we even tried to go as spectators Sunday, but my mate's Evoque couldnt even manage off the drive.

Roll on next year, as it sounded like it was a fantastic show.

The pic below shows the depth of the snow on the road in and out of our village, which today is still completely cut off in two directions.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snow.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	26333

Best Regards

Scott Country Sales Team
    Last edited by Scott Country; 25-03-2013 at 14:43.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    That looks pretty horrendous.

Have to say that your GoPro videos are great, particularly when Lucy decided to roll in the snow. Just trying to figure out if I can convince myself I need one...and somehow sneak it into the house.

wilie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

If you want to see dog cam videos, I have a mount now made for Millie the fox red lab....

They are fantastic fun.

I use mine for biking mostly, but great for gun dog retrieves in rivers he he

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Country View Post
    If you want to see dog cam videos, I have a mount now made for Millie the fox red lab....

They are fantastic fun.

I use mine for biking mostly, but great for gun dog retrieves in rivers he he

I wonder if they are cocker spaniel proof!

​willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

First video looks like a lot of fun! Well, sort of!

They are 15 stone bloke on a bike crashing into a snow drift proof, so spaniels are a breeze!

I think it says a lot about the spirit at the fair that all the other traders I spoke to were gutted you couldn't make it. Everyone very clear that there for the grace...

On the plus side, you would have been just across from us and SD/Jayb so your 'view' would have been nothing to write home about!
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

Thanks for your post Moray, gutted wasn't the word for not being able to make it, as of course as wanting to sell things, we also wanted to demo the latest kit, and even invested in an expensive night vision demo tunnel as this event and another couple this year will put it to good use.

The organisation of the show was spot on, and Brian was a pleasure to deal with and a friendly down to earth chap also, even when I was furious and calling him when I was stuck in a ditch telling him there was no way we could make it.

I am glad you confirmed that for me.
    thought I was losing the plot and hadn't found your stall!!

​bad luck. always next year

Thank God you were all right. It looks...interesting. I have to admit, from the comfort of my seat it all looks idealic and makes me envious of the fun you had ( I presume you did anyway) but it must have been something else to actually be there....

Great pictures and video!