the wrong trousers.....

bewsher500

Why is it so hard to find a pair of trousers that are not £300, hewn from a solid block of some man-made plastic or lined with shiney nylon!!
I just want a pair of trousers that are comfortable, hard wearing, don't rustle like a tesco bag, don't make you sweat like a rapist in court and that I don't have to sell a kidney to afford!!

I searched all the exhibitors at the Kelos fair and jsut when I thought I found some that looked Ok I looked inside to find a teflon/nylon/polyester liner!! or a six figure price tag!! or they were 44" waist and a 30" leg!!

They don't have to be totally waterproof, I am not going seafishing off dogger bank, just wandering through some woods!

who owns something like what i am after?

Arktis/Country Covers. My favourite stalking gear, there is little warmth in the gear apart from it being wind and waterproof (you can buy the non waterproofed gear and use Cotton Proof on it), but it lasts and is well made.

​Simon

I must say simon i was really impressed with the country covers clothing and i will be getting a smock ,nice gear and finally had the chance to fondle one at the fair,atb wayne

forgot to mention I hate Cammo of any description.

I would rather run out of petrol than be caught on the forecourt of a filling station in cammo trousers!!

Will have a look at the Arktis things, not sure Polar fleece is the material for me in the trouser department. sounds bloody hot!

Haglofs Pant Rugged Mountain Bracken

Haglofs Pant Rugged Mountain Reg Leg 600824 Bracken

These are superb. I'd have a pair but they are sized for lanky swedes. Medium fits me perfectly except I have 29 inch leg, not 34. Even considered getting some cut down, but the construction is detailed and complicated.

UK dealers say the same, but Haglofs don't seem to be interested in (greatly) expanding their market to include the average shaped Anglo Saxon.

They look good trousers. Have you actually got a pair and how waterproof and warm are they?

They look good trousers. Have you actually got a pair and how waterproof and warm are they?

Yes I've got the out brave ones, they do not claim to be hugely waterproof they do a good job, but I treat them myself with some home made wax and does a good job at repelling water but for a spring/summer/ early autumn type trouser I've used nothing that comes close to them for the money......

What about a good old pair of moleskins not water proof granted but to do the job you describe they dont need to be. The beauty of moleskins is that even if they do get wet they are not cold in the short term.
Tusker

those look pretty good but I really like these ones:

Hillman, outbrave Trousers GreenHillman Clothing Hunting Shooting Fishing icchunting.co.uk

4e5bf7a47a0073d726f7984aa8204955.jpg

only one problem: "Waist sizes from 32 inch to 36 inch"!!

I use Fjallraven vidda - tough hard wearing and c£100. Not absolutely waterproof, but dry very quickly, not particularly warm, but use a pair of thermal bottoms on underneath if needes be. You get them at Nordic outdoor, just round the corner from you in Bruntsfield. I also use moleskin type jeans in the summer - £30 from Costco.

Ed,
Nordic outdoor have these trousers on special offer http://www.nordicoutdoor.co.uk/haglofs/trousers/haglofs-rugged-mountain-pant.html OFFER ONLY APPLIES TO ONLINE SALES!!! Their new bruntsfield shop have them but will only sell them for rrp!! T**TS

Why is it so hard to find a pair of trousers that are not £300, hewn from a solid block of some man-made plastic or lined with shiney nylon!!
I just want a pair of trousers that are comfortable, hard wearing, don't rustle like a tesco bag, don't make you sweat like a rapist in court and that I don't have to sell a kidney to afford!!

I searched all the exhibitors at the Kelos fair and jsut when I thought I found some that looked Ok I looked inside to find a teflon/nylon/polyester liner!! or a six figure price tag!! or they were 44" waist and a 30" leg!!

They don't have to be totally waterproof, I am not going seafishing off dogger bank, just wandering through some woods!

who owns something like what i am after?

Last edited:
Deerhunter Game stalker trousers are 85 pounds I bought a brand new pair on ebay, they are comfortable make no sound when walking and you best bet if its a bit cold or you sweat a lot by a pair of helly hansen base layers or skins base layers what skiers wear in the snow and the sweat is wicked away from you skin and your comfortable all day, this sort of setup should sting you sub £100 if you look around, hope you find what your after

have you never tried deerhunter ram trousers? ive had 3 pairs, very tough, very soft and quiet if you go for the ones without hitena, suprisingly waterproof and pretty cosy in this sort of weather we are having, without being too sweaty. ive got a pair of the haglofs but they are crap at keeping water out and really cold when wet. deerhunters were £67 at bushwear a few week ago.

Back