Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 44

Thread: Musing on gun laws...

  1. #1

    Musing on gun laws...

    So, imagine you are an FEO, you recieve an application, all boxes ticked, he has permission to shoot on land of 1000 acres in a remote area away from housing that has been previously cleared for .375H&H. His referees are not FAC holders and don't have any criminal record, when you speak to them they say that the applicant is safe and reliable and in their oppinion fit to hold a gun. You arrive at his house to be greeted by a skinhead who is dressed in full DPM and has BNP tattooed on his knuckles, he has the SAS emblem tattooed on his arm. He lives on his own, his house is clean and tidy but you notice that all his reading material relates to special forces and far right politics. The house is decorated normally buy there are a lot of military style collectables dotted around, various shell casings and replica hand grenades etc. He appears fairly normal to speak to and has a good knowledge of shooting safely.

    What do you do?

    And if you recommend refusal will he win an appeal?

    Just interested, there is a lot of slagging of FEO's on here, I wonder how easy their job really is...

    Not sure what I'd do..

    And if the above description is you, I'm not having a go just throwing up a little talking point..

  2. #2
    You forgot to mention the Rottweiler.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom D View Post
    So, imagine you are an FEO, you recieve an application, all boxes ticked, he has permission to shoot on land of 1000 acres in a remote area away from housing that has been previously cleared for .375H&H. His referees are not FAC holders and don't have any criminal record, when you speak to them they say that the applicant is safe and reliable and in their oppinion fit to hold a gun. You arrive at his house to be greeted by a skinhead who is dressed in full DPM and has BNP tattooed on his knuckles, he has the SAS emblem tattooed on his arm. He lives on his own, his house is clean and tidy but you notice that all his reading material relates to special forces and far right politics. The house is decorated normally buy there are a lot of military style collectables dotted around, various shell casings and replica hand grenades etc. He appears fairly normal to speak to and has a good knowledge of shooting safely.

    What do you do?

    And if you recommend refusal will he win an appeal?

    Just interested, there is a lot of slagging of FEO's on here, I wonder how easy their job really is...

    Not sure what I'd do..

    And if the above description is you, I'm not having a go just throwing up a little talking point..
    In short, yes !!!
    Its called stereotyping . . FEO's can't be approving or declining applications on the basis of what someone looks like, skinhead or not.

  4. #4
    My FEO gave me extra points on the security section for my 3 rottweilers.

  5. #5
    I thought the same.

    Imagine the same but the guy is asian and the tattoos and books are related to muslim fundamentalism...


    In essence I think we too have the right to bear arms here in the UK, there are a few hoops to jump through, but providing you don't have too bad a criminal record, or too bad a mental illness then its ok.

  6. #6
    I was chatting to an FEO about a similar topic not that long ago and he told me of an almost identical scenario where he had the gut feeling the guy wasn't 100% but had no grounds to refuse him. Then a few months later had to revoke his licence due to him chopping barrels and stocks off his shotguns and rifles and adding folding stocks to them and attempting to convert to fully auto.

    Another story was of a pub landlord who,was having trouble with some travellers and soon applied for a SGC and the belief of the FEO was he wanted it for personal protection so declined his application which he appealed and had overturned as there was no "justification" for denying it to him. Within days of getting his SGC he had been arrested for threatening people in the pub with a shotgun.

    not a job I'd want as "damned if you do and damned if you don't"

  7. #7
    Probably not for the FEO to worry about. If he has a concern it should be passed on to their boss who will make the decision, if they have concerns it should be passed on to the courts to decide. That's what the system is for?

  8. #8
    Imagine if the applicant reads ...... The Guardian!?!?!?!

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom D View Post
    In essence I think we too have the right to bear arms here in the UK, there are a few hoops to jump through, but providing you don't have too bad a criminal record, or too bad a mental illness then its ok.
    Here in the UK we have absolutely no right to bear arms, we have to have good reason to own firearms / shotguns and 'defence' is not one of those reasons. So unless Mr Skinhead had good reason and / or land to shoot on, he'd be treated just the same as anyone else in that position.

    ​Tom
    I'm telling Captain - from the Wee'est of men.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by tjwaines View Post
    Here in the UK we have absolutely no right to bear arms
    It might be wrong of course, but I seem to recall reading an arguement that our rights in this regard are found in the Bill of Rights of 1689. The writer went on to point out that this is why we do not have Firearms Licences nor Shotgun Licences - our 'licence', or permission, to own arms being in the Bill of Rights.

    The FAC and SGC are simply certificates of fitness, as later defined in Firearms Acts, to excercise that right.

    This seems to me to make sense, though of course it has little impact in practice on the position in which we find ourselves nowadays, in particular with respect to the rather arbitrary 1930's decision to remove self-defence from the list of 'good reasons' for FAC.

    Interesting to think about, though!

Similar Threads

  1. Gun Laws in an Indepandant Scotland
    By dingwall_dave in forum Legal Issues
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 18-04-2012, 16:23
  2. UK Gun Laws
    By UTGrad in forum Legal Issues
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-11-2011, 03:59
  3. British gun laws
    By daniel paydar in forum Legal Issues
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-03-2011, 14:08
  4. Cameron promises public review of gun laws
    By Mannlicher_Stu in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-06-2010, 20:10
  5. Strange laws
    By viking in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 26-05-2009, 17:19

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •