Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parker Hale

Parker Hale

Hi Troops, bit of a newbie here, Bought my first rifle, a Parker Hale 243,probably quite old but have shot very well with it and I actually quite like the traditional look.I chose it because it was relatively cheap and had intended to move to something in due course. My only gripe is the spring loaded feed system.....haven,t mastered that at all. Could this be modified/ altered to a "magazine" system and if so, is it worth the cost?.
    I know there are Parker Hale experts on here, so I would apreciate your,e comments, Iain.

HI ph
    My dad has a 1200 Superclip in 308,bought it from new many moons ago,never had any probs with the loading system.
    Saying that mind, he has probably only put 3to 400 rouds through it from new,and is an absolute minter.

Nothing wrong with them, they will knock deer over for you no problem. I have a PH .270 which had only had 5 rounds fired through it and came with a swarvi 6x42, all at the bargain price of 350. The gun trade is a little like the car market, bring out a new model and we will just charge you a lot more for the pleasure. The second hand car still gets you there and the second hand old fashioned rifle is still capable of killing all the deer and foxes you wish to.a lot of it is a lot of marketing XXXXXX. Or am I just being a tad cynical.
    John.

I take it that you mean that you have the usual Parker Hale drop plate fixed magazine and you are wondering about changing to a detachable magazine. Yes it can be changed but frankly it’s not worth the trouble or expense which will cost more than the value of the rifle and with which you may have some difficulty sourcing the parts. Personally I find no advantage to having a detachable magazine on a stalking rifle and would stick with the existing system.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Try the link below for some useful information - as a PH fan, I looked at this a few years ago but the only realistic option for an M98 action is the Gibbs conversion and the quality is very poor, plus availability of the parts in the US is now pretty limited.

As said, if you really want a PH stalking rifle with detachable magazine, look out for a 1200 Superclip or a 1200 Scout - otherwise, learn to love the very practical internal magazine and drop-plate system. If you are struggling with it or it's not feeding properly, you might find the z-shaped metal spring under the lifter is knackered - these are easily replaced as a DIY job for little money.

​The rounds should click firmly in a staggered column into the box with only a light downward push, ensuring that they are positioned towards the back of the magazine. I have also found that they prefer to be loaded with one less round than the stated capacity in any given calibre, as this means the spring is not over-compressed and the first round chambers smoothly. Don't be tempted to single feed the round by dropping them in rather than loading the magazine - this can lead to rounds being pushed into the chamber in front of the extractor claw rather than via the intended controlled feed, potentially bending the claw's lip and causing extractor problems.

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...p/t-31180.html
    Last edited by Adamant; 26-03-2013 at 21:49. Reason: Spelling.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
    Don't be tempted to single feed the round by dropping them in rather than loading the magazine - this can lead to rounds being pushed into the chamber in front of the extractor claw rather thanin a controlled feed, potentially bending the claw's lip and causing extractor problems.

Also don't be tempted to try and make the feed quieter by using your thumb to slow the cartridge down when there is a stag 40 yds away!
    it knocks it off the claw (controlled feed), it slides into the chamber and if you neck size (as I do!) it bloody well stays there until you figure out a silent way of removing it!!

I only have one magazine rifle and I am forever putting the bloody magazine somewhere "safe".

do you dislike it (floorplate box mag) because of the design or do you mean yours is not working properly?

I think Voere in Austria do a conversion but the complexities of shipping your rifle to Austria probably aren't worthwhile.

David.
    Last edited by Kalahari; 26-03-2013 at 15:24.

Hi,

I recently bought a P-H .243 Safari Deluxe from Rake Aboot off this site (who can be seen in a nearby post, dribbling over his replacement bit of kit!). It took me quite a while to figure out the working of that floorplate mag, but now I've got it sussed it's ok. I had help from this site's resident P-H expert (Brithunter), and spent some time fiddling about with some re-sized empty cases until I got the hang of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
    . Don't be tempted to single feed the round by dropping them in rather than loading the magazine - this can lead to rounds being pushed into the chamber in front of the extractor claw rather thanin a controlled feed, potentially bending the claw's lip and causing extractor problems.
    That's a good tip.

Thanks Guys, good info all round. Obviously a number of better informed people than me !!. That,s exactly why I signed up. The general opinion is that I should probably learn to use the system properly. I have to admit that, due to my lack of experience and usage, I possibly haven,t mastered the tecnique of the underplate. A couple of times recentley I have struggled to load the second round, (no disasters though) and I assume my tecnique is wrong rather than a fault with the mechanism. Anyway, thanks for all your input and I will take it onboard, Iain