Thread: NGO Dogs for Deer report

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)

NGO Dogs for Deer report

I decided a few weeks ago to attend the NGO Dogs for deer day instead of going to Kelso.
    It was held on what can only be described as a bloody cold windy day, which sadly left little time for the dogs to really get any tracking done.
    The course tutors were Alan Rogers and Mark Elliot. Also in attendance were the Shooting Times who were there to take photos and do a report
    We started the day in the cabin by the gamekeepers house which was warm and had copious amounts of tea and coffee.
    Soon the decision was taken to crack on and we all took our seats.
    The first discussion was taken by Alan and focused around the different breeds of dog for tracking, their pro's and con's. The usual comments about Teckels but the general idea was that you should be careful with your selection and I should have bought a Labrador
    Next we moved onto types of tracking. The most interesting part of this was the theory of tracking to confirm 'missed' shots. How often have you found skeletal remains on new ground? I know I have. How often have you had a 'no reaction to shot', I know I have!
    Then the discussion moved to different types of scent, trust of your dog and a little on laying scent
    We then talked about equipment. Stuff that you should consider spending your money on and stuff that can be homemade. Essential equipment was considered to be 10m tracking lead, harness, blood dispenser, blood, hooves, and snittsels- basically washing pegs with ribbon attached so you can mark your track.
    The next part was laying a track and how over time to build up to more difficult tracks. Tracks with twists and turns, breaks in the blood trail, lots of ideas to get you thinking about.
    If you intend dealing with other peoples deer too then the next section was for you. How to question the shooter, understanding the shot, building a deer hair book for use on the shot site.

Quite a few other subjects were touched on and many stories told but then we broke for lunch. Venison casserole, with jacket potato, bread and 2x very large cakes. Of course we all did the very British thing and didn't touch the cakes at all.......................until we got back from the dog training field, where upon they set upon with tea and biscuits thrown in too.

After lunch we given a demonstration on tracking, watching for signs your dog has lost the trail, what to do if he/she does and importantly that you shouldn't rush it.
    Non dog owners were then teamed up with dog owners and a simple trail with a small turn laid out. It was a simple affair with nothing more than a hoof dragged 3m behind a walker. It must be remembered that this course was for newbies and young dogs.
    My only criticism of the day was that because it was so bloody cold they only got to do 1x track. Personally I don't care how cold it was. That was a major part of what I there for. Guidance on training.
    Anyway back to the hut where we had a good discussion on wild boar and what you would need, and then the telling of many stories.
    It was a good day and well worth the £60. Go if you are thinking about getting a dog or have a young dog

My thanks must go to Alan Rogers a fellow Teckel sufferer. I feel I hogged him a little too much
    Dogs in attendance
    Teckel
    Hwv
    Spaniel
    Black Lab
    Hanovarian
    The Shooting Times

I don't buy The Shooting Times but will make an exception if Dexter is in it. Could someone tell me if they spot the article

ATB The End
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Like you I was intending on making the the trip to Kelso but Mark asked me to come and help out on the day, I thought the trail that was laid for Jamie and his dog was particularly difficult as it was laid the night before in all that snow and with many turns and not with scent shoes just a hoof on a piece of string, as you say watching and knowing your dog reactions on the trail is very inportant ans Jamie had to go back the one time they went off the trail.

I did help lay the trail for your young teckel and watched him on it, well done and i think they are great little dogs, the other dog i watched was the Hanovarian cross breed and very inpresive it was too considering it had never done any trail work only a bit of picking up.

There was a good mix of people and dogs from all over the country and nice to meet follow SD members

looking forward to the write in the shooting times, think it comes out some time in April

Tony

teyhan /tont how many attendees turned up at the day .

Everybody that was booked on turned up on a very cold day, I think the mumber was 16 and we did turn people away and told them we would be running another course very soon.

Tony, what was the HS crossed with and why?

They got them from Germany and they where crossed with vaimerarmer(sorry about the spelling) interesting cross I must say, but as I said the one that was there did work well.

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Someone commented it looked like something from the hound of the baskervilles. Unfortunately I didn't see it track.
    Yes, I think that there were 16 people too.
    Alan Rodgers was not critical of Hanovarians but I got the distinct impression that he didn't think that they were an ideal dog for British stalking conditions.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

I think the point Alan was making was that all dogs can track not just the scent breeds, my view and this is only my own view is that the scent breeds are probably better at holding an animal at bay as it seems to be built into there make up, but they are no better at tracking.

teyhan 1 , glad you enjoyed the day. Nice teckle pup you have there. Train and enjoy. Teckles, I love them .Mine is a hunting teckle but he will follow hot scent on a lead.
    Hanovarians i think are the Rolls Royce of tracking dogs as are the Bavarians. There are a few on SD who have them who are training them properly. You won't find a better tracking dog than those two breeds if trained to there full potentcial. But are they the dogs for most of the stalkers in the UK? I have a Kopov, would i recommenda kopov as a tracking dog for the Uk? No. If i lived back in England again and was after a dog to train for deer the Lab would be high on my list
    It was me who thought the Hano+ looked like the hound of the Baskervilles. He was a big dog who you would not won't to meet on a dark night.
    Last edited by Jagare; 30-03-2013 at 07:26.