Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 6.5x55 load not performing well

6.5x55 load not performing well

Hi, I've got a load recipe for the six five that consists of a 129 gr Hornaday Interlock driven by 44 gr of Hogdons H4350 I've chronoed them at approx 2700 fps. I've been using this as the last load I used was the same just a little lighter on the fuel at 41.3 gr and running at 2560 fps. I binned this 41.3 gr load as whilst being disturbingly accurate with all holes touching at 100 yard zeroing sessions, it was a bad one for passing strait through the Muntjac and not doing the business, and yet, not passing through fallow deer.
    Annoyingly the 44gr loads still don't seem to want to exit the animal. I've shot 7 dear in the past 2 months using this load (fallow and MuntJac) but they don't want to pass through at any range over about 50 to 60 yards, at 50 to 60 yards they are a good killing round but not thereafter. Over 60 yards they put them down alright, bullets recovered look brilliant and are nicely mushroomed, its just that they are not working quite as efficiently as one would hope, they don't bleed out as fast as they should, they all move at least 20 to 30 yards and then drop, albeit without much of a blood trail owing to the lack of penetration which can be a pain in good dense cover.
    I've now built up a 140 gr load using the same ingredients as I've read it holds a much higher sectional density and better coefficient at 100 m ranges. I just hope I don't get that needeling effect again as I had on the close range Muntjac with the 41.3 grain loads. I wonder if anyone can shine some light on this one ?
    Regards, Olaf

Olaf
    Interlock or Interbond? I use the Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Bullets :: Rifle :: Choose by Caliber :: .264 6.5mm :: 6.5mm .264 129gr InterLock® SP and have only ever recovered one bullet so I am puzzled. My load runs at about 2700 fps too.
    ​Regards JCS

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.5x55.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	272.6 KB 
ID:	26368

Same bullet over 43 of H4350 taken from a large whitetail shot at 200 yards.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Olaf View Post
    Hi, I've got a load recipe for the six five that consists of a 129 gr Hornaday Interlock driven by 44 gr of Hogdons H4350 I've chronoed them at approx 2700 fps. I've been using this as the last load I used was the same just a little lighter on the fuel at 41.3 gr and running at 2560 fps. I binned this 41.3 gr load as whilst being disturbingly accurate with all holes touching at 100 yard zeroing sessions, it was a bad one for passing strait through the Muntjac and not doing the business, and yet, not passing through fallow deer.
    Annoyingly the 44gr loads still don't seem to want to exit the animal. I've shot 7 dear in the past 2 months using this load (fallow and MuntJac) but they don't want to pass through at any range over about 50 to 60 yards, at 50 to 60 yards they are a good killing round but not thereafter. Over 60 yards they put them down alright, bullets recovered look brilliant and are nicely mushroomed, its just that they are not working quite as efficiently as one would hope, they don't bleed out as fast as they should, they all move at least 20 to 30 yards and then drop, albeit without much of a blood trail owing to the lack of penetration which can be a pain in good dense cover.
    I've now built up a 140 gr load using the same ingredients as I've read it holds a much higher sectional density and better coefficient at 100 m ranges. I just hope I don't get that needeling effect again as I had on the close range Muntjac with the 41.3 grain loads. I wonder if anyone can shine some light on this one ?
    Regards, Olaf
    this is the reason Iam not a fan of the 6.5,I had a similar experience a few years ago when I used to have a 6.5x55.
    At the time I was using 129gr SSTs hunting Sika in Southern Ireland,I never made a clean kill over 3 days,all the beasts where shot perfectly but all ran it was like the bullet just had gone straight though like a spear.I didn't know if it was the bullet of the calibre but it knock my duck off so to speak so I got rid and went 30.06 for a while.
    Iam sure some people don't have any problems with this calibre but I wasn't giving it another chance.

I know that I am an outsider but I seem to read this kind of thread regarding all calibers. Doesn't it always boil down to the bullet? Is an Interlock the best choice for a small bodied deer? I get the sense that the objective is to kill the deer immediately with little damage. I'm not certain that is always possible short of a clean head shot- especially on light bodied animals.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    I know that I am an outsider but I seem to read this kind of thread regarding all calibers. Doesn't it always boil down to the bullet? Is an Interlock the best choice for a small bodied deer? I get the sense that the objective is to kill the deer immediately with little damage. I'm not certain that is always possible short of a clean head shot- especially on light bodied animals.~Muir
    quite true but over this side of the pond we don't take head shots as there not ethical.we certainly don't talk about them.
    I think bullet choice is a very important factor but just looking at the shape of the 6.5 pills puts me off as they just look like a spear.

I've gone 140gr SST in my 6.5x55 and have zero complaints so far... I'm sure that I will at some point, just not yet!

Cheers
    i.
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Olaf View Post
    Regards, Olaf
    Nothing wrong with the calibre its the bullet your using I would say, I can't say I've never not had a bullet exit any animal I've shot, I'm currently using Barnes TTSX 120g at 2900fps with reloader 22, it flattens everything in its path wether there large or small deer, in the past use partitions, game king amongst others.......
    Last edited by MONGOOSE; 26-03-2013 at 17:21.

It's an odd one.
    I use 44.5g of H4350 with Hornady 129gr SP "Interlock" going 2700 (very accurate as you say). But, they exit?!
    I also use 44.0g of H4350 with Hornady 129gr BT "InterBond" going 2710, they also exit and seem to hit a little harder. These are on Fallow and Muntjac.

Having said that I used some factory Remington 140gr Core-lokt last year chronoed at 2350! Shot a Muntjac at 70 yards (in the heart) and passed straight through, it went 10 yards and even though it went through one shoulder when I butchered it I didn't lose any meat (well maybe, two diced cubes, no bruising).

A friend uses 140gr Hornady SP going 2680 and from what I've seen they work the best. Shot some big Reds here with them and the bullet passes straight through, even out at 150 yards. They drop quicker too.

The 140gr although a little slower has it in my view, better sectional density, heavier and seems to just keep pushing through. These are what I'm changing to and I'll use the others for practice and stuff.