Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Highseats..... what do they say about you?

Highseats..... what do they say about you?

A couple of days ago in the thick snow I was looking for where the roe on a permission were hiding and lying up in the trees. Right in the middle of the woodland there was a fair block of very thick 5 meter sitka with mature material to the west that has a good mixed floor and hey presto! Deer sign, droppings and lots of patches where deer had being lying down.

Only problem was a lot of small 3-5ft trees throughout the mature material made it impossible to see at ground level more than 40m. With a new highseat sitting boxed in the house the solution was obvious and up she goes in a good spot looking towards the thick sitka and up the hill the woodland is on. That night Big Steve from Fechan pub (if you meet him you will never forget his farts) was up the highseat but no joy.

So late yesterday afternoon I took a wander up and stalked into the seat as quiet as you can sneaked up the highseat and would you f'ing believe it..... 4 roe within about 60-100m that I could see. With the wind blowing hard in the tops they were oblivious to me being there. With one doe left to cull I singled out the young one of the four and had to wait a while but she found a clear line of sight and boof! she jumped two feet straight up and made a 20 meter run with a bright red heart shot blood trail.

That was the first roe I've ever shot from a highseat after hundreds of them from stalking, I've only shot munties from highseats and less than a dozen of them. When I've seen roe on the likes of clear fells I always sneak down and try to get close. Say a lot about the type of stalker you want to be!!

Surely a highseat is just another tool in the box?

If its the right piece of equipment at the right time for the right job......then you use it.

"Say a lot about the type of stalker you want to be"...?

Not sure what you mean??

But if the alternative is 300 yards through a bog on my knees to get really close, or sit in a high seat because I know it will be coming into range.
    Then you will find me in the high seat.
    efficient and dry is the type of stalker I would like to be most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by 2434me View Post
    Surely a highseat is just another tool in the box?

If its the right piece of equipment at the right time for the right job......then you use it.

"Say a lot about the type of stalker you want to be"...?

Not sure what you mean??

But if the alternative is 300 yards through a bog on my knees to get really close, or sit in a high seat because I know it will be coming into range.

Then you will find me in the high seat.
    efficient and dry is the type of stalker I would like to be most of the time.
    exactly as i would have put it another tool for the job when needed .
    Also dont understand the bit about the stalker you want to be ?
    regards pete

I'm guessing the point about what stalker you want to be comes from what your idealogical stalk would be. Someone who wants to creep though the forest for hours being at one with nature in order to shoot the perfect deer may not feel that someone who shoots from a high seat "ambushing" deer isn't really stalking just like the person who shoots on the hill from 300m isn't "stalking".

I personally have different places I shoot and some are only cleared for shooting from an elevated position so thats what I do, others I wander around enjoying the countryside or maybe sit up and wait. It all depends on what terrain you shoot, how long you have to shoot and if you are doing it for fun or have a job to do. If the farmer calls me and says there are deer eating his new fruit tree saplings I've got to shoot what I can to keep him happy in the shortest time (fitted around work and an imminent baby) or he may ask someone else. If I have a whole summers day free then I can spend time in a high seat followed by a walk and more time in the seat.

It purely depends on your commitments and what you need/want to achieve and everyone will have different opinions on this.

Another good point with highseats is the Ability to take a good long look at your deer and asses
    how good a buck might be for instance .

I was recently criticised by the local long range specilist for erecting a new freestander about 80 yds
    out from a 300 acre wood .
    he quote to someone i know how close does he want to shoot em .

my reply to the chap i know was the far end of that field would be 200 plus yards and thats plenty
    far enough for a highseat shot
    thats not taking into account guests or cliients you have not met before and never seen shoot .
    he can stick to his 500 yard head shots on his own ground
    regards pete

Think you beat your own stance here Paul. You recognised through your survey that the only way you were going to get a shot was from a high seat and after placing it, everything worked as you wanted and you achieved your goal. Agree with others that a high seat is just a deer management tool to be used where there is a requirement. I would agree that sitting in a high seat awaiting some unsuspecting deer to come within range is not really stalking but there is skill in high seat placement. I don't think that using a high seat necessarily makes any statement about you as a stalker.

my high seats are all 4ft high what does that say about me
    BARONY TRAINED NINJA

do you want the challenge of the stalk or do you want to just cull deer? What type of stalker do you want to be as in are you happy to patiently wait out the deer or test your field craft skills in the open wild searching for them.

It's not a dig at anyone, it's a reflective observation about hunting deer I've never thought about!
    Last edited by Paul at Fechan; 26-03-2013 at 11:38.

Quote Originally Posted by paul at barony View Post
    do you want the challenge of the stalk or do you want to just cull deer? What type of stalker do you want to be as in are you happy to patiently wait out the deer or test your field craft skills in the open wild searching for them.

It's not a dig at anyone, it's a reflective observation about hunting deer I've never though about!
    Paul thanks for explaining
    from my own point of view i want both
    I want the challenge of the stalk when the time permits and the conditions right
    I also need to be able to cull deer when the need arises the weather were all experienceing at the
    moment its pretty crap if your out and about and its squelch squelch
    on the other hand if you can sit up a high seat nice and quiet and manage to grass one then great
    As has been said allready peoples circumstances are different and we can only commit so much time
    unless your a pro out all the time .
    I like to have the choice so high seats and stalking on foot have served me well on my ground
    regards pete

as you should know paul high seats sometimes are the way to go and in some areas are a valuable way to safely cull deer, is it not a question on your level 1 sheet..lol so i would say what they say about someone is they done there homework in those kind of areas like wot you done ..lol
    Last edited by skywull; 26-03-2013 at 12:05.