Highseats.

sako85

Right gents , Im thinking of having a few highseats made up to sell and want to know what you guys would look for when thinking about buying one.
They will be made from steel and all double capacity as i dont think singles sell well anymore. Am I right?

What would you be expecting to pay for a very good quality one and where do you purchase yours from already? How much for a single, double and a free stander etc.

Are you willing to pay for delvery, if so how much?
Would you want them painted if it didnt add too much to the price?

Are there any legal " health and safety" things i need to think about?

Any input or advice is welcome.
I know some will say " it's only a high seat" but i want to get things write.

THanks,
sako85

After using a few rubbish high seats lately I'd say the shooting position is critical - i.e. the height and position of the bar. Quite a few manufacturers seem to think you need the bar down at hip level - ideal for taking shots at your feet but no good for anything past about 8 yards!!

I have a free standing jager sports model it is light 30lb and can be put up and took down in 1o mins flat. It was i am told as i didnt pay for it 300 notes so would be looking for somthing the same cheaper if not i would get what i have ;)

The best thing you can do is take a mate out to test and give an unbiased opinion on a demo unit

Ofcourse i may need to be taken out more than once to make the right judgement :D

personel thoughts are}
something that is double,
freestanding
360% view and shooting rail
comfortable , easy access in and out
sturdy but not that heavy that you can't handle by yourself and easy to maintain with a price that does not cost no more than £200
and also proof that they are built to a high quality

stone said:
personel thoughts are}
something that is double,
freestanding
360% view and shooting rail
comfortable , easy access in and out
sturdy but not that heavy that you can't handle by yourself and easy to maintain with a price that does not cost no more than £200
and also proof that they are built to a high quality

Wow! That's one hell of a list for less than £200. :)

That's the problem with a steel seat - if you want to make a good one, it doesn't leave much room for profit. You also have the competition of cheap Chinese production models being available for that price - off the shelf.

Just bear in mind, ease of access, ease of camouflage/weather protection, comfortable seating position and a shooting position that will cater for close range shots as well as being able to stretch out a bit.

Good luck, and don't forget to include a bike chain and lock, as theft of these is now a major problem.

Rgds

Ian :)

I use a guy in Wincanton £120 for a double lean-to and I think £180 for a double frestanding seat, which complies withstones requirements.

Still think there is a market for single seats, that are manageable for one person. Slip up against smaller trees/posts. Go in the back of pickup. For areas that the seats get moved around a bit more, depending on crops grown etc.

IanF said:
Wow! That's one hell of a list for less than £200. :)
Ian
if you don't ask , you don't get :lol:
as i hav wooden one's made to that design for a lot less money and i don't hav to worry about the welds breaking :lol:
duncs
i agree , there will always be a market for single lean-to's
especaily a fold up type

Hi Sako

I was out stalking tonight with the chap who is helping me with my level 2 who you also now and he has his metal double high seats made by a fella in Wareham for £80

The seats can be leant to or free standing as are also supplied with the scissor back legs..

Terry

Hi Terry,
I'd be interested in a double high seat for eighty quid :D .
Presumably it is box section and not made from angle iron stakes ;) .
Can you give some more info please.

Hi Eddy

Im sure there will be plenty more looking for the £80 high seat

Sam knows the fella thats mentoring me for my level 2 i guess i should have PMd him :oops:

Eddy i will happily ask the question and if he is okay to do it at that price for all i will let you now..

Terry

ps Where you guna put it!!! In your garden ;)

sako 85 all the best with your high seats
i use the same guy as stand buck from wincanton
and for the money and build quality he takes some
beating supplies seats all over the country
all the best pete .

Just to add my two pennyworth, if you have any made, the critical dimention is the distance from the surface of the seat to the top of the shooting rail. After many years I have concluded that this should be 22'', this takes into account big people, small people, slight uphill shots, slight downhill shots etc. 22'' is a good compremise for most situations. Many of the shop bought ones seem much lower for some reason. JC

seats

Sam

A good mate of mine is Paul Davis (PD Seats), he advertises in Shooting Sports & Sporting Rifle, he is only up in Oxford & all his seats are Galvinized ready for you to psint up how you want them , he will also deliver them, (he talks for england though so be warned)!

I have about 40 of his seats scattered around my permissions in Hampshire & some are now 10 years old & look as good as the day they were delivered.

Regards Lee

seats

Sam

A good mate of mine is Paul Davis (PD Seats), he advertises in Shooting Sports & Sporting Rifle, he is only up in Oxford & all his seats are Galvinized ready for you to psint up how you want them , he will also deliver them, (he talks for england though so be warned)!

I have about 40 of his seats scattered around my permissions in Hampshire & some are now 10 years old & look as good as the day they were delivered.

Regards Lee

seats

I think the lean 2's are about £130 & the freestanding are about £180, he will make singles or doubles, I have seen many seats in my time & have to say that for value for money & life span his would take some beating, we had some real crap ones left on the estate that came in cheep for the sportsman centre & they are rusted to hell inside of 18 months.

As I said, the 10 year old ones form hin are as good as new.

Regs Lee

Back