Available: Red Deer Stalking in Caithness 2013/2014

Moray Outfitting

Red Stags & Hinds in Caithness 2013

Stalking the open ( very ) flow country near Westerdale, Caithness

Stags flat rate £385 per day No trophy fee

Hinds £160 per day

Further to the hind opportunity last season, we have had the pleasure ( albeit usually a rather soggy pleasure ) of stalking this ground on behalf of the owner for a good many years. The Flow Country is quite unique in itself and as a stalking challenge. The picture below will perhaps give you a flavour -

New Image.JPG

This ground is open with a capital 'O'. It holds some stags and sees a large influx with the rut. Charged by the day there are no trophy fees; reflecting the management philosophy of the owner. The animal taken will be at the discretion of the professional stalker to reflect the management plan. This may mean a spiker or a 12 point plus head as circumstances dictate. For those attending over several days every effort will be made to ‘even things out’, but please be clear that this ground will have little appeal for those who judge stalking only by the taking of the biggest and greatest number of animals. Typically you will take one beast per day, but again this will be dictated by circumstances.

The Hind stalking will often entail several animals being taken in the day – this will again be at the discretion of the professional. But be aware that the nature and vastness of this terrain means extraction has to be factored into the available time; though extensive use is made of Argocats, the distances involved do take time. Just as with the stags, these trips are about the stalking experience - not the number of rounds fired. This is not the ground for those seeking 5+ hinds a day.

chasse Ecosse 116.JPG

It is about the stalking challenge. Approaches will require great care and good tactics - and not least lots of crawling. It's the most challenging of stalking and may not be to everyone's taste.

Though there is no requirement to be hyper fit ( or partake of close hugs with your stalker – but we try to please! ); what the flow country provides in terms of aquatics it makes up for in an absence of contour lines! We fit the pace to the client.

chasse Ecosse 107.JPG

Approved Witness ( s ) are available at no additional charge and many people have been with us in the past specifically to complete their level 2. No additional charge is made for the completion of your Portfolio. However, we do need ample prior notice if an AW is required.

Caithness is a long haul North, but the challenge is well worth the trip - it really is something very different.

The Estate Policy is for calibres to be 6.5 and above and bullet weight of 129 – 140 grains plus. An Estate rifle in 308 is available. To emphasize, it is about the stalking. Typical ranges run from 35 yards to 150 yards, but the open nature of the terrain mandates that the capability to reach out is there if needed, hence the ballistic guidelines.

DB&B accommodation is available locally.

chasse Ecosse 084.JPG

The ground can accommodate 2 parties stalking each day. Red highlight ( edit - which doesnt seem to work! so now just bold )on dates below indicate one party already booked and we will update/remove dates as bookings are confirmed.

A deposit of £120 per day/ person is required for Stags and £50 per day/person for Hinds.

Available dates are –

NO SUNDAY STALKING

STAGS

SEPTEMBER 2013

Monday 23[SUP]rd[/SUP], 24[SUP]th[/SUP], 25[SUP]th[/SUP], 26[SUP]th[/SUP], 27[SUP]th[/SUP], 28[SUP]th[/SUP] & 30[SUP]th[/SUP]

OCTOBER 2013

Tuesday 1[SUP]st[/SUP], 2[SUP]nd[/SUP], 3[SUP]rd[/SUP], 4[SUP]th[/SUP], 5[SUP]th[/SUP], 14[SUP]th[/SUP], 15[SUP]th[/SUP], 16[SUP]th[/SUP], 17[SUP]th[/SUP] & 18[SUP]th[/SUP]

HINDS

OCTOBER 2013

Tuesday 22nd October onwards ( Excluding Sundays, Christmas etc )

chasse Ecosse 075.JPG

Please e mail interest and preferred dates to info@stalkingschool.co.uk and we’ll send details, terms etc

Thank you for reading

Attachments

• New.JPG
    New.JPG
    261.9 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
An excellent offer John. Sadly I can't take you up as I am stalking in Caithness the week before 23rd Sept but am now also taking a week in Aberdeenshire starting 23rd . Anyone accepting will have a great time with these guys. Rupert

My friend and I were up there in early January for a day at the hinds, had a great day and can thoroughly recommend John and the ground. Saw plenty of deer, word of warning though be prepared to get drookit. John, I bet you still get a laugh from me getting stuck in the bog!! Hopefully we'll be in touch for the stags.
All the best
Ewen

Wow that place brings back memories, next to the Wash the best place on the planet. My wife shot her first stag there many years ago.
Anybody that stalks on there will love it.Wf1

I know we are 'selling it' etc, but I do love the place. Ok, sometimes the attraction is fonder for being back in front of a peat fire, dry and dram in hand than it perhaps seemed at the time :D but its a genuine personal fondness. ( Its Andy ).

Ewen - bog, what bog? :D

ACM

It is amazing - though to be completely fair, must point out it isnt sunny all the time! But the waterlogged camera pics never come out ;)

ACM we will stop for a chat with John (Moray Outfitting) if we see him on the ground there, we drive through it to get to some of mine!

I can highly recommend John and the Moray Outfitting team by the way, and I also know that ground very well, stunning and plenty Deer about.

ACM

It is amazing - though to be completely fair, must point out it isnt sunny all the time! But the waterlogged camera pics never come out ;)

Ha ha ha , it's not the weather that draws me mate . Glen that sounds fantastic ! Would be good to meet some other guys up your end . Looking forward to it !

Further to post regards our Forestry Stags, on rather more open ground far, far North -

John had a busy week including -

IMG_0137.jpg
IMG_0138.jpg

The second picture shows the back end of the XBH 8x8 ATV that we have from the distributor for test and evaluation - report to follow ( once John manages to break it at least a little bit! ;) ) . Thus far it has performed very well and has some nice design touches.

All stag days taken, but spaces remain for hinds.

Back