what is best for warmth and value

rob keeper

As it is still cold i am thinking of investing in proper cold weather gear.my boss and mates have all got rusky bibs and coats and there is no doult they are perfect for high seat work.how ever i was looking at all in one by swedteam.has anyone used or got the swedteam all in one.i am only toying with this as the write up sounds good and similar to the ruskys and is a more affordable price.any thoughts or comments would be helpful cheers rob

any thoughts or comments would be helpful cheers rob

An acronym for dressing in cold weather... COLD

Clean, keeping your kit clean, especially the outer layers allows it to perform the way it was designed.
Overlapping, tuck your long johns in your socks, your base layer into your long johns etc as you layer up.
Layers, lots of thin layers are much better than a couple of thick ones.
Dry, speaks for itself, the longer you keep the kit dry, the longer it keeps you warm.

I bought a Swedteam all in one about a month ago for high seat foxing, I just happened to see it advertised in Shooting time from one of the main shooting shops, it was on offer for £120 (half price), but only in size xxl, I was worried about the size as it is an all in one and I am 6'3", but it is fine, it is very warm, wind proof and water proof, though I noticed the legs have a full zip which I can't see being water tight(hav'nt been out in proper rain yet) a couple of thing could be better, higher collar, bigger pockets, nothing major though, have been out two to three nights a week in this weather and it really is good, hope this helps, cheers

An acronym for dressing in cold weather... COLD

Clean, keeping your kit clean, especially the outer layers allows it to perform the way it was designed.
Overlapping, tuck your long johns in your socks, your base layer into your long johns etc as you layer up.
Layers, lots of thin layers are much better than a couple of thick ones.
Dry, speaks for itself, the longer you keep the kit dry, the longer it keeps you warm.

​Dont forget to leave yourself extra time to find your old fella when you need a leak, with everything tucked in.....!

Its always a trade off between warmth for laying up or sitting in a high seat and not being too hot if you have to cover a lot of ground.

Merino for base layers....Sitka have good kit

+1 Any.
Merino stuff is good and comes in different weights. Most common is Icebreaker, NZ cloth but now made in China I think. Other good NZ kit is 'Glowing Sky' which is still made there.
Icebreaker comes in loads of sizes which confuses me somewhat. You need to try it on. Sometimes they sell it off cheap if its in weird colours. Its brilliant wool cloth, warm when wet and if you use more than one layer its even more effective. You can wear it for about 3 days before it starts to stink, but being wool you HAVE to wash it carefully preferably by hand. I would'nt dream of going back to polypropylene man made junk now which was all the rage some years ago. Its not cheap but don't you deserve the best?? I don't personally wear the underpants, but my wife thinks the ladies ones are wonderful for long distance air flights. A plane also helps.

Base layer - any merino wool thermal kit, H/H is my personal favourite.
Midlay - Buffalo Special 6 Shirt
Outer - Ridgeline
​Hat - Lowe Alpine mountain hat

Layers are the key to staying warm. I've invested in Merino wool base layers and can't believe just how good they are after trying all sorts of things over the past 45 odd years. Brilliant!

Back